Honored Contributor

Re: Got my Real ID License today - it was so easy

They rejected my marriage license. What's a person to do? I brought what I was given. I paid $20 for the right copy, but haven't ventured back.

Respected Contributor

My processing time was quick once it was my turn.  Went in March 2020 right before the shutdown, the DMV was packed!  Waited close to three hours.  Once it was my turn, done in 10 minutes.  I was worried because my SS card had my middle initial, everything else had my middle name spelled out.  

Yes I heard it was extended again to 2023.  My passport expires June of 2024, wondering if I will renew it.  Haven’t travelled internationally now in three years.  Plus still saying 12-14 weeks to get your renewal back?   I probably will renew.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't remember if I have one. How can I check? What do I look for.  Where can I get one Or who to call?

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline   Why do you even want a Real ID?  It doesn't sounds like you need one.  A   Passport is a Real ID.  You don't need two forms of Real ID.

I am also wondering what happens if somone who doesn't own real property in your state.  Something sounds wonky.

Honored Contributor

I'll just use my passport.

Valued Contributor

I finally got my Real ID (it's required in my state) after several hassles. I think a lot depends on which DMV office you visit. I went to one nearby last spring and they couldn't have been more efficient. I had an envelope full of documents. My main problem was that I use my maiden name as a middle name on some official documents, but my first and second baptism names on others. Dumb on my part, but who knew?

Anyway, once all that was resolved, it took 10 minutes or less to renew my license with a Real ID, get my picture and leave. I had planned a trip to visit my son and on the way to the airport, we stopped to get the mail and there it was: official!  So I didn't need to show the temporary paperwork, etc. at the TSA check in.

I brought the staff a big box of Abdallah chocolates later as a thank you for their service. It was well received!

Honored Contributor

My license expires this year.  I'll get the Real ID when I renew.  

My husband and my daughter got their Real ID when they renewed last year.  It wasn't a hassle for them at all.  The worst thing was waiting in line at the DMV.  Because of Covid precautions, they only let so many people in at once.  People are waiting outside for hours at a time.  Now, they're accepting appointments, and wait times aren't so bad. 

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

You need it to enter Federal buildings. So if you get called for Jury duty, you need one. At least that was what the BMV told me.

@Nataliesgramma I had jury duty last Thursday. It was not a federal case. You do need a Real ID for state/county buildings. You can also use a passport instead of a Real ID to enter federal buildings.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I don't remember if I have one. How can I check? What do I look for.  Where can I get one Or who to call?

@bonnielu 

"If [your license] is REAL ID-compliant, there will be a star in the top right corner; many drivers may not realize they already have one since some states have been issuing them for a few years."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I received my Real I.D. back in 2019. I have a passport and I do like to travel, although due to COVID I have not been able to for a few years, but when I went for mine I was hearing all types of horror stories. Including friends and family members who had to make two trips to finally get it. 

I reviewed what was needed and made sure to take with me. It was so easy. I remember remarking upon it to the DMV agent that was helping me, and she said it's easy if you bring what is required.