Frequent Contributor

Got my Real ID License today - it was so easy

I was expecting a total mess and trouble when I went to get my Real ID license today. I had heard so many complaints and problems with others getting it.  The total timie I spent in the DMV was about 10 minutes.  

I had my license renewal post card from the DMV and apparently that counted as some sort of personal ID in itself. I had my original birth certificate.  I have been married twice and I had both marriage licenses and the divorce decree.  She said she didn't need to see the divorce one just the two marriage licenses.  The only other thing I showed her was my voter registration card.  She did not ask for my Social Security card or any other document that had my SS number on it.  I had all sorts of papers with me - utility bills, bank statements, W2's, etc.  They all stayed in the envelope.  I read the eye chart and had my photo taken - in and out in about 10 minutes.  I was so surprised but also so glad it went much smoother than I ever thought it would go.  

I was obviously not going to complain about my renewal experience, but it sure differed from the info that was on my state's web site as to what paperwork was needed to get a Real ID.  The web site said I would need all sorts of stuff that she didn't ask for.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Got my Real ID License today - it was so easy

I don't have a Real ID and I don't think I am getting one.  They are not required until May, 2023.

I have misplaced my SS card and would have to get another one to apply.

I don't see a need for a Real ID.  I don't plan on flying anytime soon and I have a valid Passport that can be used instead of a Real ID.  

Frequent Contributor

Carmie - I think that a Passport does everything a Real ID does.  I never got a passport, so the Read ID will help me.  But I agree, I don't see a need for you to get one.  

Trusted Contributor

If you are a AAA member, you can also fill out everything on their site and then just bring the paperwork along with your documentation to a branch.  It's been awhile since I did mine so don't remember all the details, but it went very smoothly and since you can make an appt to get the id, you don't have to wait in any DMV lines.  

Esteemed Contributor

You need it to enter Federal buildings. So if you get called for Jury duty, you need one. At least that was what the BMV told me.

Trusted Contributor

Got my Real ID Driver's license last Feb 2021, first, I had to go online providing documents of my birth certificate, marriage license and SS# in order for DMV to approve with a valid code number as your confirmation to visit DMV, once there, I was in and out in less than 20 min with the appointment.  The Real ID license is only good on domestic flights.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

You need it to enter Federal buildings. So if you get called for Jury duty, you need one. At least that was what the BMV told me.

Most of the calls for jury dury are not for Federal Crimes and you don't need a Real ID to enter the County courthouse for jury duty

Honored Contributor

@rolen  I guess you're lucky that you got swished through the process so quickly. 

I don't know, but I had to show everything when I applied a few years ago---and I was fine with it.  I'd feel safer if things were done properly.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I don't have a Real ID and I don't think I am getting one.  They are not required until May, 2023.

I have misplaced my SS card and would have to get another one to apply.

I don't see a need for a Real ID.  I don't plan on flying anytime soon and I have a valid Passport that can be used instead of a Real ID.  

@CarmieI was able to replace my lost SS card online.  Hope you can, too.

Respected Contributor

This REAL ID requirement is Ridiculous. A hold dover from

B U S H.  WH.

January 2020 went to AAA to renew my license and get a REAL ID. I brought EVERYTHING with me, including my valid Passport which has never expired - i always renew,  since i got my first one in 1988 - and even taht one i had to get an updated birth cert before i received my adult passport.  i even had a passport when i was 2 yrs old.

I was denied the REAL ID because i could not show a tax bill for real property. they refused to allow my excise tax bill - with my name and address (the town - and state - collect taxes on personal property such as cars, boats, trailers)

you are just at the mercy of gov't civil servants.