Esteemed Contributor

Congrats on such a great find! Hope it brings you much joy!

I would browse his nearby Gallery store in the '90's. Was putting myself thru college at the time, couldn't afford a thing but a great experience. 

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden ...  you just couldn't let someone enjoy their moment with a recent purchase without muddying it for them.  It is not a very pretty side to show others ...  enjoy your day ...

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I do suspect that the crazy things he did were when he was intoxicated and disinhibited. Not surprising. That often has folks wind up in the ER stating 'I did what', or jail. Those who knew him said that after a few drinks, he was a totally different, wild person.

Sad, really, because he sure created a successful industry for himself with his paintings. Something like one in every two dozen people own, or have had, at least one piece of his art, or they know someone who has. To be so successful and cash it in at 54 shows the extent of his addictions and self destructiveness. 

The tone of his works and the serenity he depicted may show his unsuccessful grasp for peace within himself. So they aren't disturbing to me. They're more diagnostic. I find many beautiful, with their ability to pull you into their depth. Probably where he wished he could be, if only...

Respected Contributor

@HallowsEve wrote:

@CAcableGirl2  You sure got a good deal. Are you in Calif? We are in the "foothills" near Sacramento & Kikwood. You use to be able to get Thomas Kincade work in Placerville, not sure about that anymore. I do have one nice we got in Niles CA (near Fremont) about 8-10 years ago, can't remember the name - has a US flag in the front of the cottage. Enjoy!

@HallowsEve 

My parents retired in Diamond Springs about 3 miles from Placerville and we'd go to the Gallery in the Carey House Hotel on Main Street, not sure if still there.

You probably know this but several of his Victorians are from actual houses in and around Placerville, it was fun to recognize which ones he painted.

@CAcableGirl2 

Great estate sale find!

Trusted Contributor

I have many in every  room of my house. They are not originals of course, but they are so beautiful I don't  care.

After he passed his brother sold them on another shopping network  quite a few years ago.

Valued Contributor

Not my cup of tea but I'm glad for you, that you found something you really like--and a bargain, to boot.

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123   I got the 2nd one today that I had mentioned last night.  My sister got it when the sale opened this morning and snagged it in the first 5 minutes of today's sale.  $95 for the 2nd one - huge like the other one, the original receipt was included.  It was over $1200 with tax back in 1997.  

Both have pretty gold frames (not what I would normally get), but how can I resist such a great price. 

My sister told me another couple was there buying the last one (I didn't care for that one), and would have probably purchased mine if she hadn't been there!  She went in the house and raced over to the living room to be first in line!  Gotta love my sister - always on the hunt for a bargain. 

Here is today's bargain at LESS THEN $100!!

IMG_5134.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@HallowsEve   Yes, I'm in Southern California, but the sale was near my sister (who lives near the beach), and my Mom and myself drove to my sisters for her 89th birthday yesterday to celebrate and went to the sale but drove back home last night.  Today it was 1/2 price, so my sister went for me just in case it was still there.

I really don't need anything more since our plans are to move in a couple of years and I'm trying to downsize, but those will look so good in our house when we move to Georgia and I just couldn't pass them up.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

You got a great deal. I have two of his framed prints and I see beauty and serenity in them.  One comment particularly disturbed me because it focused on the artist's failings. I'd prefer to focus on his accomplishments.

Respected Contributor

I have one. It is a Christmas house with trees, snow and a snowman. Every Christmas it goes over my mantle. Bought it from QVC.