Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Not sure if this is still relevent in this techno age.......

After the interview, SNAIL MAIL a HAND WRITTEN "Thank You" card to the interviewer.

You are SO right about a thank-you note!  There have been several occasions when, as an interviewer, I gave a second look or even a call-back to a candidate I'd been on the fence about, after receiving a note reiterating his or her interest in the position.    (Depending on the nature of the position, though, a typed note on standard stationery might be preferable to a handwritten thank-you card.)

Super Contributor

Is she older than the traditional college graduate?  If so, even though this would be her first job in teaching, she can cite examples of other situations that she has been in that have given her experience and knowledge towards the position.  

Be enthusiastic, but not overly.  Good manners never go out of style.  After all, a teacher sets an example for the students.  I wish her the best.  It is an exciting, but anxious process.

Esteemed Contributor

I have reviewed resumes and sat as an interviewer.

Dress better than you think you have to but keep mu, hair and jewelry to a minimum. Most people show up like slobs in a corporate world. If it's a panel interview, sit across from the person in the middle of the panel. We actually grade you on these two.

Discuss your electronic/digital job knowledge. While you're at it, lock down your FB, IG, etc. We look. If you're on Indeed so much the better. Shut off your phone the entire time you're in the building. 

Gaps in your resume are no longer a big deal. Everyone has them post 2008 economic meltdown. If you need to go back to work after years as a SAHM, say so. 

I'll say skip the Very Nice Thank You Note. My bosses laugh at them like you're trying too hard.

Super Contributor

Worked in HR, taught interviewing, and worked as a teacher. Those hiring are not looking for stock or prepared answers, they are looking for answers based in applicant’s experience.

So if they ask, for example, what’s your philosophy of education, she can give an answer based on what she has observed, learned, concluded, from her experience, even if it’s just student teaching, and then GIVE AN EXAMPLE. Like, “I had a student who I saw blossom and come out of his shell when I spoke to him privately every morning and asked him each day how he was doing. He began improving his behavior and his homework came in more regularly. This helped me decide that a key part of my philosophy is building relationships with students.” Or whatever. This shows the interviewer that she has some experience and can think on her feet, rather than just parroting textbook responses.

Also look up on state website data about the school district: socioeconomic status, funding, etc. This will give her an idea of the kinds of students she’ll be working with, which will help. Good luck, she’ll do great!! 

Trusted Contributor

THANKS TO ALL SO MUCH FOR THESE WONDERFUL TIPS !!!!    I am so excited to share each and every one with her because they are ALL so helpful !  She's had every obstacle in the world against her but she's finally 'made it' to her goal.  Thanks again for the well wishes !