Trusted Contributor

My friend has recently graduated from the local university in the public teaching field.  She has several interviews coming up and is a bit nervous, to say the least.  Can you give me any tips that I might share with her to ease her mind - or tips that you feel/felt were a real winner during your interview?  Also, if there are any 'employers', what was it that you were looking for in a prospective employee during their interview?  Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Got 'interview tips'???

[ Edited ]

Read up about the potential employer.  Google them

What is special about them

What is their mission

Have they won any awards, recognitions 

* Work this into the conversation

Be prepared to SAY why YOU should be hired

What is special about you

What do you bring

Be prepared to answer the ? 'what do you see yourself doing in 5 years.

Ask what is on their plate for the next 2 - 3 years

Ask what challenges they are currently facing

Ask what they are most proud of

Ask what they bring to their customers, students, clients that sets them apart.

Best wishes to your friend.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor
  • Ask questions (good ones).  She is also interviewing the organization.
  • Dress well.
  • Research the organization ahead of time.  Be able to answer why she wants to work there.
  • Don't be late.  Make a trip the day before if you have to, to figure out where to park.
  • If she's got any breaks in her resume, time-wise, think up a good answer about why it's there.  
  • Ask about next steps in the process before you leave.  You'll want to know if they are conducting follow up interviews or not.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Scope the place out a day or two ahead of time so she knows exactly where to go. (I wish I had done this once, I got lost and almost missed the appointment)!

Be about 10 minutes early and be very pleasant to the receptionist or the person who greets you. I saw someone fail to get hired solely because he was rude to the intake clerk.

Best of luck to her!

Trusted Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

My friend has recently graduated from the local university in the public teaching field.  She has several interviews coming up and is a bit nervous, to say the least.  Can you give me any tips that I might share with her to ease her mind - or tips that you feel/felt were a real winner during your interview?  Also, if there are any 'employers', what was it that you were looking for in a prospective employee during their interview?  Thanks in advance.

@sarahpanda  Great question! Along with all the other replies, which offer fantastic advice, make sure to smile at the receptionist and the interviewer. Look them in the eye and offer the interviewer a firm handshake (not too hard!).  I was given this advice 32 years ago and got the job. 

Honored Contributor

I'm assuming she is interviewing for a teaching position, I asked my retired teacher husband about interviewing tips for a new teacher. Make sure you know all about the school district you are interviewing in. You never know what they are going to ask you so smile and be authentic, try not to let your nerves get the best of you, firm hand shake and thank them for the interview. 

Honored Contributor

If it's teaching, she needs to consider how she feels about before/after school activities and sponsoring clubs.

Honored Contributor

Not sure if this is still relevent in this techno age.......

After the interview, SNAIL MAIL a HAND WRITTEN "Thank You" card to the interviewer.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

All of the advice provided is very, very helpful for any kind of job interview.

However, if she is interviewing as a new TEACHER--

1. What is her philosophy of education? (She should have two-three sentences that summarize her beliefs)

2. What is her familiarity with the latest research in her content area and/or grade level (e.g. what is the most effective way to teach literacy skill in preschool; what is the most effective way to teach math skills in middle school, what is the most effective high school approach in content areas that will link to future career and/or higher education?)  This question may be especially important if she has no previous teaching experience. Other types of questions could be--Describe an outstanding lesson, how do you know you are successful with students, and so forth.

3. Why does she want to teach in THIS district/school? (Know something about the successes/data results)

4. How would you use technology in your lessons?

5. How do you effectively manage a classroom?

6. How do you address student socio-emotional needs and how do you involve parents?

7. What are your strengths and weaknesses as an educator (or your personal professional development plan)

She should have teaching example stories ready to share.

Best wishes to her!!

Trusted Contributor

Assuming it's a teaching position I would see if she has any connections to the district from student teaching if she did that. Around here I think you interview infront of a few people. They have a team of four people if I'm remembering correcctly from when my friends did this. So if she knows someone it would help give her an idea of the format they use, if she needs to bring lesson plans etc.