Trusted Contributor

I was just notified by my credit card company that 2 charges totaling nearly $3,500 were charged to my account and verifying these were legitimate charges.  I have the account set up to verify charges over a certain amount.  These 2 charges were fraudulent and I was so grateful my credit card company checks on these things.  It is a frustrating hassle - especially this time of year - as they need to close the account.  They will send a new card but I still need to contact any/all businesses that auto charge to my account and let them know the situation.  The credit card company assured me there would be no financial loss to me and I sincerely appreciate their support and efficiency in dealing with these charges.  Hopefully some poor business is not out the goods the thief purchased and the money the credit card will withhold for payment.  I am not sure who absorbs  the cost for these losses, but it is so wrong that these thieves rarely are the ones who pay the price or get stopped.   Thanks for letting me vent.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Got a visit from The Grinch

[ Edited ]

I had the same thing this morning. I got an email that someone tried to charge $800 on my Visa card. Fortunately Best Buy didn't let it go through and sent me an email about fraud. What's funny is the guy wanted the item delivered to his home so they have his name and address. I'm getting a new card also. So irritating. This happens about every 2 years. 

Respected Contributor

Oh no - I hate when that happens!  It’s such a hassle too. The crook was pretty brazen charging that amount!

Esteemed Contributor

Ouch - that's a substantial sum.  I've been 'hit' twice but were for small amounts...$3 - $10.  C Card co thought it was being used just to test validity and active cc number. before a big hit.  I  try to stay off websites during the holiday period. 

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty 

I am so sorry this happened to you, too.  By chance, did you make a charge or payment to either QVC, HSN or Aldi within the past few days?  I did not lose my card and those are the places I used my card lately.  Just wondering if there is a pattern....it is a long shot, but thought I would ask.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

The credit card companies have gotten a lot better at detecting this sort of stuff, thankfully!  It is a hassle but at least no financial loss.

Esteemed Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

@Meowingkitty 

I am so sorry this happened to you, too.  By chance, did you make a charge or payment to either QVC, HSN or Aldi within the past few days?  I did not lose my card and those are the places I used my card lately.  Just wondering if there is a pattern....it is a long shot, but thought I would ask.

Nope. I haven't  bought from QVC or HSN in ages and we don't have an Aldi here. Just some pond scum trying to scam people. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ugh, that stinks.  It has happened to me a few times also.  The last big one was for $1700 for Knicks tickets 2 years ago.  The day before I had used that card to purchase tickets at our county center for The Nutcracker.  So I sort of know where it orginated.  The Knicks' farm team plays in that arena.  Grrr ... 

My nephew gave me a great idea that I think I will do this year.  After Christmas, he calls his banks to get new credit cards.  Makes sense.

When I worked in retail, I once got stung by 2 young guys buying a $2000 watch.  What they did is give me an AMEX that had one number on the front and a different number on the back of the card.  Who would think to look at both sides?  AMEX let the sale thru so I was not blamed for being careless, but still it did freak me out a little.  Can never be too careful.

I have alerts on all cards that if more than $1 is charged, I get an text.  It makes me feel a tiny bit safer.

Honored Contributor

I have received calls, not to say that card was hacked.  That has never happened to me but to verify that I actually I charged that particular item.  That last time was a little over a year ago when I bought my sister a chair and couch.  I charged $1500 and the bank called me to verify that I had made that charge.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, this has become very common.  My cc sends me an alert for any charge over $40 or any charge at a gas station.