Honored Contributor

Re: Got Yelled at for trying to help

@grandma petes ..........You will be blessed for helping.  The nasty lady will get her just rewards.

God bless you and continue to do good.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I unfortunately must use the scooters in grocery stores.  I do not want or need help, however people, especially in Wal-Mart,  are always offering their assistance.  I'm very careful to graciously thank them for offering but tell them I can handle it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Wow I am sorry she responded that way to you. I would have been upset too and felt embarrassed. Sorry to say this but this is why I dont try and help anyone that I see out and around. I have been tempted but didnt. You are sweet for trying to help her. Hugs

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@grandma petes so sorry that happened to you..  Thank you for trying to help, you did the right thing.

I had an older gentleman yell at me in the Wally parking lot when I asked him (after we loaded our car).. "Do you need a buggy?"  NO, I'll get my own buggy!!  Fine by me..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

It’s all about re-framing the situation.

Instead of negative ‘got yelled at’,

reframe it as a positive ‘I know I helped’

....for trying to help.

When I help someone, it’s not about their reaction I hope to receive.

They might smother me with positive or smother me with negative...

it doesn’t matter. The end result is to make their life better. 

Trusted Contributor

Its so nice of you to offer to help someone.  Sad that it let you feeling so sad while trying to actually be nice to someone.

So often when I'm in the grocery store it almost appears as many of those in the mobility scooters act like the own the store and are constantly cutting in front of people - not looking out for others as well.  Maybe this lady fell into that category.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom @Some people are too proud or stubborn to accept help....my moms 87 year old bf is one of those.He would rip you to pieces for offering assistance.LOL.I told him to get even,he could accept the help even if he doesn’t need and get one over on them.He thought that was funny.

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes 

Sometimes I don't even understand myself, much less another person's reasons for doing or saying things. I certainly wouldn't have expected that response, but I would chalk it up as "someone having a bad day". 

It was very nice of your to offer to help her and I understand your feelings.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I used to have a boss with cerebral palsy who was in a motorized scooter. Lots of people treated her as if something was mentally wrong with her .........she actually has a masters degree and is a very independent woman. She basically wanted to be treated like everyone else even if she wasn't.  So it was a fine line.  I didn't realize how differently our office was until after she left.....we used to have to put straws in her drinks for her, the file cabinet drawers always had to be closed, etc....

Respected Contributor

God help us should that (or when that) happens to us.

All the stores now offer delivery and pick up services (usually for free) and it is wonderful.

Why this person acts like this is beyond our knowledge but is clearly that persons problem - not yours!

Don’t let this one bad apple spoil the whole bushel.