Esteemed Contributor

Re: Got Yelled at for trying to help

How does one break their waist???????

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Funny you should mention this incident because just last week, I heard an ad on the radio, where several disabled people were identifying themselves and their injuries.

One of the people said something like, "yes, I'm fine and I "no" I don't need help".

I didn't forget it, and got the message, loud and clear.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Perhaps the lady was just too proud to accept help. I would not take it personally. You were very kind to offer your help, even though she rejected it.

Being too proud to accept help is one thing.  Screaming at someone who is trying to be helpful is quite another. 

And I agree - Of course the OP shouldn't take it personally.  

Honored Contributor

I don't help unless I'm asked or it's life or death.

Too many crazies out there now.

Even opening a door for someone can set them off

Honored Contributor

I broke my rule Friday.

I was in line behind a woman, she had a 6 month old in a front carrier.

The baby is tow headed with blue eyes.

Next to her, was a little girl about 3, blond, didn't pay close attention to her eyes.

She was standing right up against the woman in front of me, I assumed the little girl was her child as well.

The 3 year old kept looking at me, staring.   I would smile, resisting the temptation to say anything.   Finally I said, are you the big sister?   Referring to the baby in the carrier.

The woman literally whipped around to tell me all her children are blond and blue-eyed.

It was so rude, it even scared the little 3 year old, she took off to find her people.

There was no need for that, and that's why I have a rule to not engage with strangers in public.

Esteemed Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

No good deed goes unpunished.  Thank you for trying to help.  

@PinkyPetunia   My sentiments exactly!   I say that all the time as it seems to happen to me often.  To the poster,   Bless you for offering help not everyone would be so kind .  It says a lot about you that you didn't hesitate to offer her your help. 

Respected Contributor

I've learned to just ask "do you need any assistance" (not HELP). If a no I bug off. Some folks just like to be left alone and that's ok.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't feel bad.  You tried to help and that's what counts.

My guess is the other person was frustrated and took it out on you.  Can you imagine living with a disability that limited your activity in some way?  It has to be difficult and some days would be more frustrating than others.  Give her a break.

Super Contributor

As a senior with disabilities I struggle at times. It would be easier to stay home and order groceries delivered. But that would be "giving up" when I can do something but it takes more time and energy. 

Getting older brings lots of challenges and they all keep one moving. I'm blessed my mind is sharp and I'm able to be in control of my affairs at this point. I ask for help when I'm too weary to keep up.

Always offer to help and hopefully we'll remember to respond gratefully. None of us ever know what someone we really don't know is going thru--and that includes a helper's life. We're never in a situation that hasn't been ordained for whatever reason or for whose benefit. And that is why we pray. Thanks for your prayers for that woman.