Esteemed Contributor

Good friends but different tastes

Reading a thread about movies made me think -- Do you have dear friends / family where your choices in TV shows, movies and books vary greatly - but you adore them? My sis-in-law comes to mind. I recently read a book she loved and wanted to discuss after I read. The book was painful to finish. She knows I like to laugh and recommended a chick flick, she's seen the movie twice. I thought the jokes were amature and predictable. I suggested favorite TV shows, Americans and Outlanders. She watched and had zero interest. Even our preferred furniture styles are so different. But she's a great friend I've known for 40 years. The most important thing is we have her brother in common.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Good friends but different tastes

Yes, starting with the other 3 people living in this house, my husband and daughters!   They are movie people; I hate to watch movies.  

My oldest daughter and I love to read; I like fictional stories based in real places, she likes American history/Civil War stories, Victorian style novels, etc.   

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I are polar opposites when it comes to movies, TV, and music and books.  Sometimes I watch his stuff and sometimes he watches mine.  We spend a lot of time together so sometimes we just do different things.  Especially during football season...game time is my sewing time. 😉

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I have a best friend, and there are so many things we are exactly alike on, and so many more that we are total opposites. 

Either of us would not choose any other friend to be so close to, with so many differences, but we really rely on each other to balance ourselves and keep us in check. 

For instance, we had totally opposite child rearing techniques (we each had only one child, sons, and they were born exactly to the hour, one week apart). When either of us was in a quandary about what we were dealing with in parenting, the other was a balancing force in our thinking about where to go or what to do with the situation. I was always  more strict, and it helped her to be firm. She was always much more patient and understanding and it motivated me to try to be that way.

We are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, lead very opposite financial lives and so many more differences, but there are so many things that I can only tell her, as no one else would get it or understand where I'm coming from. Neither of us can imagine not having each other to fall back on when times get tough, or when we do something stupid and need someone to laugh about it with.

Respected Contributor

It's all fine, I watch tv in family room & Dh has his tv living room, he loves movies, history & the old black & white sitcoms. I am into those crazy bravo housewives but it works for us. Yes, I have funny sometimes shy friends then outgoing ones. We will always be there for eachother but if you think about it, why?? we are all so different but will always be with eachother.

Super Contributor

Accepted differences among friends is the key to a good friendship.  We balance each other out without judgement.  The world would be boring if everyone thought the same and had the same interests.  While I may not have the same preferences and views that they have, I learn from them.  You can disagree with a true friend and still get along.

Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

My husband and I are polar opposites when it comes to movies, TV, and music and books.  Sometimes I watch his stuff and sometimes he watches mine.  We spend a lot of time together so sometimes we just do different things.  Especially during football season...game time is my sewing time. 😉

@onlyshopsonline - that's when I used to sew, all day Sunday long before the days of DVR's!

Our tastes are so different when it comes to TV and movies, thank goodness for two televisions in the house.  We can retreat to different rooms when we have had enough of what the other is watching.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Yes, starting with the other 3 people living in this house, my husband and daughters!   They are movie people; I hate to watch movies.  

My oldest daughter and I love to read; I like fictional stories based in real places, she likes American history/Civil War stories, Victorian style novels, etc.   

@RedTop

You're the first person I've ever "met" who shares my sentiment about movies.  I rarely watch movies, and when I do, it's usually because someone dragged me there or DH is watching it and I can't avoid it.  I never, EVER watch movies based on books that I've read... that spoils it completely for me.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I find , esp. as the years pass, that my DH and I don't share nearly as much as we used to.We seldom are interested in the same TV shows, so he's in his den and I'm in the guest room/sewing room almost every evening. He just put a TV on the wall in there for me because I like to have the TV on when I'm sewing.

I have one close friend whose taste I love , but she is very wealthy and can buy anything she wants. When we "shop" together I am just walking and nodding when she shows me the things she loves, because I couldn't afford an ashtray at the stores we are in.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@RedTop

You're the first person I've ever "met" who shares my sentiment about movies.  I rarely watch movies, and when I do, it's usually because someone dragged me there or DH is watching it and I can't avoid it.  I never, EVER watch movies based on books that I've read... that spoils it completely for me.

Put me on that list, too!!  I do enjoy the Super Hero type movies (Marvel), but I do NOT understand rewatching and rewatching the same movie over and over!!

And I only read fictional books, Civil War being my favorite too!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it