Esteemed Contributor

Re: Good friends but different tastes

@Mominohio  Oh, yes, I forgot to mention we voted differently in 2016. I research information and she just says, well, I'm a registered XXXX so I voted that way. Head in hands then we go on to have a great lunch together. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I have 2 very close friends (until recently anyway), with very different tastes in many things.

#1 friend & I are probably the closest. We don't differ on much, & the things we differ on, I try to steer clear of the subject.

#2 friend is probably the most different. We have a bond over our "long ago past". As we've started aging, I'm finding she annoys me more, & I spend less time with her. I've posted about her here a few times. We hadn't been together since December, until a couple wks ago. We had lunch & did a little shopping. I honestly, couldn't wait to return her home. She has been changing over the last yr., now I find her much less enjoyable to be around. AS I let her out that day, I thought to myself, that might be the last time we do anything together. It's hard to explain, a very long story. I felt she probably had the same thoughts,lol. 

**Age changes us all.

Honored Contributor

Yes, definitely.  I think that's a good thing, when you have friends with different interests it introduces us to different things and different experiences.  Honestly, I'm alone when it comes to the types of tv shows and movies I like.  I don't like the things that everyone else likes.  

Trusted Contributor

Thinking about it.. nearly every friend (and family member) I have has varied tastes to my own in one or more ways. This is also true regarding beliefs, social and political views and interests. Since we are true friends and beloved family members, we are respectful of this. Therefore it matters not at all. I don’t understand those who must argue or even bash others for their tastes or views. Isn’t that the beauty of individuality? It is for me. 

Respected Contributor

I have some longtime friends that I have had for many years and as time passes, I find we have little in common except growing up together. We don't see each other as often as we used to but know that we are there for each other, if needed.

I am fairly close to my design friends as we have much more in common and have lots more to discuss at lunches and social occasions. It is also much easier to shop with these friends as we have our homes and design tastes in common.

My church friends are also wonderful.....so many kind and giving people. 

Honored Contributor

@jeanlakeYou have such a wonderful blessing in your friend just sharing "time".  So many people that have pledged their lives to eachother can't even do that.  You have different tastes.  Everyone does, yet you belong together.

Enjoy the nuggets you have together!

Esteemed Contributor

@LurkyLoo  Agree that differences make frienships richer. Our long-term relationships carry with them a bit of our history. So precious.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

My husband and I mostly like the same movies, TV shows, food, etc. Our son on the other hand is the exact opposite in interests. I only have friends who are interested in and like the same things I do, I don't want to work that hard otherwise.

Respected Contributor

My best friend and I were alike when we were young. As we grew up we both changed. We remained friends until she passed. 

My second bf and I were much more alike. 

I feel very fortunate to have had them in my life.

Esteemed Contributor

I have two close friends whose tastes vary significantly from mine. One has diametrically different political beliefs. The other has a totally different sense of humor from my own. I’m just careful not to offend them and I assume they do the same.