Respected Contributor

Re: Going on my first cruise

As with any kind of travel, how busy you are is up to you. But I think with a cruise, just being on the water and relaxing is a big part of it.

Pick and choose how many activities you attend. Pick and choose how much food you eat. Doing it all is not the goal.

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother  Its going to be hotter than Hades in the Caribbean in July so dress lightly.  My sister and I went in February on Celebrity and it was hot.  Hope you have a good time; I love that cruiseline.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Enjoy your cruise!

BUT!!!  You must visit Bangkok some time!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If, by chance, you'll be in Ft. Lauderdale the day before you board, and you're looking for something to do, there's a boat tour you can take to homes and yachts of wealthy people.  We enjoyed it. 

Get yourself a couple packages of Bonine and some ginger candy.
 If you've never cruised before, you may get motion sickness.  Start taking the Bonine when you get on the ship, follow through box directions.  Keep the ginger candy nearby, to s*uck in between doses.

It's really easy to overeat.  Pace yourself, but be adventurous and try new things. 

Check with your cellphone carrier, to see if you will have service on the ship or how you can adjust your plan temporarily to include it. Yes, I know it's vacation and you think you're going to be busy, but there are downtimes, or you may want to check in with your husband, or look something up.  

Honored Contributor

I think the cruise line will keep you well fed and entertained. Their staff will make sure that all your needs are met. So sit back and have a wonderful time.

The menu will have a nice selection of entrees. And you will get a paper of everyday's events and activities. There will be something for everyone. Or there will be several pools that you can just sit and relax. Your choice.

Two good friends have been going on numerous cruises this year. One girlfriend just got back from a cruise and she leaves for another in May and September. The other friend went on a 14 day cruise last month and she is going on 2 cruises in October.

Enjoy your cruise. And have a good time with your daughter. 

Respected Contributor

Enjoy every minute 😎

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow you all have made my day with your sweet and helpful responses 👏 

Re: motion sickness. On yeah. Big time. Darcy is bringing sea bands and I'll bring the Dramamine. I get queasy on the ferry from Mackinaw City to Mackinac Island. 
Went sailing on a big boat about forty years ago and barfed the whole time. They renamed the Tilt a Whirl the Tilt a Hurl after me 🤪

yeah I know the weather will be hot. But on the ship will it be air conditioned? Will I get a nice cool breeze on deck or by the pool? 

Darcy says she needs to "evaluate my condition" when she sees me, before deciding if the Thailand trip is still a good idea. This is what a thirty-five year old says to her mother. 
I was speechless. 😂🤣😆

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

<blockquote><hr /><li-user login="PickyPicky2" uid="260777"></li-user>&nbsp;wrote:<br />
<p><font face="verdana,geneva" size="3">As with any kind of travel, how busy you are is up to you. But I think with a cruise, just being on the water and relaxing is a big part of it.</font></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><font face="verdana,geneva" size="3">Pick and choose how many activities you attend. Pick and choose how much food you eat. Doing it all is not the goal.</font></p>
<hr /></blockquote>
<p>I think your final statement is key. My daughter and I will pick the port excursions we want to do. But we won't go crazy trying to cram too much into the trip. I'm a person who needs significant down time or I'll overload my circuits and be irritable.&nbsp;</p>

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

The ship will be air-conditioned, but you won't get a cool breeze outdoors anywhere unless you run into a storm. The water temperature in the Caribbean is so warm the temperature at sea will be almost the same day or night.

Just another thought: You're hearing here from people who love cruising. I know many people who don't. Don't think there's something wrong with you if you don't like it. 

Respected Contributor

Look into travel insurance.

Find out if you can bring a case of bottled water or if you a penchant for diet coke if you are allowed to bring. So you can have in your room.

Pack a nice dress or outfit for "formal"  night dinner 1 pair of nice shoes, 1 pair of comfy walking shoes, 1 pair of sandals that can get wet.. Pack light clothes because it's hot in July.  No need to take valuable jewelry of any kind.