Trusted Contributor

Re: Going on first cruise next week and need words of encouragement

Cruisecritic.com has a forum just for first time cruisers and lots of other great information that would help you feel prepared.  Read all you can before you go. 

Valued Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Been tjhere. June is the best month to go. It wasn't cold for me.  Have fun!

I went in June and it is the best month to go.  Be prepared to have the time of your life!!!  No reason to be nervous.  Just take it one day at a time and enjoy yourself.

Respected Contributor

Lucky you!  went many years ago & it was fantastic, you'll have the time of your life.  All the posts here were right on, my only advice (given to us by friends) instead of doing the shore excursions, take off on your own, the towns are small & you get to meet so many friendly, interesting people without being rushed, we had tour groups leaving & we were still talking/meeting wonderful people, just a thought but you'll have a wonderful time whichever way you decide.  The helicopter trip is a must!!

Enjoy

Honored Contributor

@Janealma Hi! If you don't get the answer you are looking for on this thread and have some time, you might also post on the Travel Chat link in Among Friends. There have been several posters mention cruises that they took.Heart

Trusted Contributor

Sweetee2       Smiley Happy   Just came back Friday. We had a couple of days of ruff seas. I would go to your local Wal-Mart and buy a Wrist band for Motion Sickness just in case. Have fun.

Contributor

Thank you all for your encouraging responses. I guess my concern was being out in the open water and having rough seas. I do have something for sea sickness. It just freaks me out a little to be that far out in the ocean, but I'll just have to get through it haha! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Janealma

I didn't get sick at all. I did with the smaller boat going to Catalina Island (from Long Beach)

The staff supplied the barf bags, 

Contributor

Sorry Missy1, I have done the Catalina boat and did fine

Frequent Contributor

We are going on a 2 week combination land and cruise tour the end of July.  We have heard so much about the beautiful scenery of Alaska and cannot wait.  I have two questions for those who have been there before--did anyone take a helicopter or fixed plane tour and where did you go?  We are debating between the Artic Circle tour from Fairbanks, or Mt. McKinley from Denali or the Misty Fjords tour from Juneau.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.  Also, would capris be okay during the day or would jeans be better?  Thank you for your help.

Honored Contributor

@kug

We took a sea plane.

http://www.flyalaskaseaplanes.com/destinations/juneau

We didn't prebook any of the excursions. Just bought the tickets right there.

Sea plane, tram, white pass train etc. (Maybe one has to do it in advance now?)