Frequent Contributor

House cat -- I would, at least, suggest to him that he try speaking to Jesus by himself and see if he can feel his presence and response.  Jesus did speak directly to the thief on the cross and to others in the Bible -- Paul is another one he directly encountered and won over.  Nothing to lose that way and much to win.

Esteemed Contributor

I would just listen to what you dad has to say. Sometimes, that's all people want, is to be heard, and not to have someone "solve" their problems for them.

'

I wouldn't go preaching to your father. He believes what he believes, and that's his right. He doesn't need to be "saved". He's been around a long time, and I'm sure that he knows all the "facts" when it comes to religion. If it hasn't swayed him by now, I doubt all the preaching in the world about how Jesus died on the cross for him, yadda, yadda, yadda, will change his mind at this stage of the game.

Just let him be.

No one likes to be preached at, unless they are in church. It is not your place to try and convert him.

Just listen.

That's the best thing that you can do for your father, is to just listen.

Trusted Contributor

Well housecat, just spend time with your father.  Try to show him the beauty of nature, and expose him to the miracle of life and love.  Spend time with him watching the sunsets and the birds and wild animals if any are near where you are.  Hug him gently, kiss his cheek, hold his hand. 

Do you have fur babies, bring him one to keep him company.  Are there any babies in the family, bring him one to hold.

If one is dying slowly, there often comes a point of acceptance, which makes it easier. 

As for God; He doesn't force Himself on anyone, that has to be a personal choice.  And, well, from this believer, God Bless. . . 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

I believe we live on in the actions and deeds we have done and accomplished in life.

Assuring your father that he has taught you well. That you love and adore him and that you will pass his wisdom on to friends and family in the future. That if he goes first you will always stop and pause and listen for his advice. That you will rely on his presence.

Super Contributor

Your father's wish is to believe in God. God may have touched his heart.  Ask him if he wishes to have a pastor or spiritual partner to talk or pray with him. It does not hurt, and there will be no pressure.  No one will force anything upon him.  Your father can say a very simple prayer or silent prayer to the Lord anytime. He can talk to Him, in his own words.  Have a bible placed by his side. Prayer could help free him from his anxieties. May God Bless you, housecat and your father.

Frequent Contributor

Ask permission for a pastor to visit him.   Read the book of John and then explain that peace with God will come through faith in Christ's finished work on the cross and his promise of eternal life with Him.    My prayers are with you.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe that he doesn't need to believe in god - not in the way folks understand god through religion.  However, you might tell him that god believes in him.  Things he's done that are good and loving will be proof enough. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

House_cat, if you don't believe and your dad doesn't believe, why are you even writing about it?

That doesn't make sense to me.  

DITTO.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

Adelina posted this link on the thread RIP Wayne Dyer to let us know that Dyer's The Shift is available free from Hay House until September 8.

It might be something you and/or your dad might enjoy.  

I actually own the DVD and watched it again today.  It is surprisingly well-done, entertaining, and in a beautiful setting (Asilomar on the Monterey coast in California).  It's the farthest thing from someone standing on a stage and speaking!

http://www.drwaynedyer.com/the-shift-movie-watch-now?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_Dyer_the_sh...

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

hennypenny said "we live on in the actions & deeds we have done".  Very well said.  Her words mirror my own views.

I have explored the idea of faith or belief with most of my friends.  I have never been afraid to call myself an athiest, but that is a word that can really cause uncomfortable conversations.

Some people can take athiesm as such a personal challenge that they will begin to argue to prove that they know best. 

I believe that each of us has a Legacy to leave for our time on earth.  Some exceptional people will leave a "legacy" that goes on for thousands of years, such as an artist or composer.  Most of us will leave a legacy lasting only one or two generations, and that is fine with me. 

Someday, when my time comes, I hope my friends and family will have the time to simply tell me that I impacted their lives in some positive way.  That will bring me the peace I need to take the last step.  I would not wish to be badgered into a last minute religion when I haven't needed it before.

Maybe the OP's dad is wondering if he did all he could to make others happy or secure.  We never can give ourselves an A+ , but the overview of our life as seen by others can be very comforting.