Esteemed Contributor

Re: Give your opinion please-

@Ainhisg    Another great response.   One of the reasons I didn't get another pet after my last one passed which was one year before I retired, was the exorbitant vet bills and cost of medications since my disposable income had seriously been reduced and the reality of not being able to afford vet bills.  As pets age they develop issues and they sometimes need medications which also cost a fortune.    I miss having a pet but cost consideration definitely should be taken into consideration.  I rarely if ever went on a Vacation ww hen I had pets which was most of my life because of  boarding or sitting costs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm another vote for the 'wait & see' approach.

Keep in mind that it may be too soon to bring in a 'new' pet and your remaining one could very well resent a new dog coming in to replace their brother. That wouldn't be fair to either of them.

Give the sweetie time to grieve his loss, as well as yourself, before considering a new pet.

JMO

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I think dogs and people are all different in grieving. I always rescued another dog when mine was between 10 and 12. At least a year old ,so somewhat trained and housebroken. I did this  again and the two year old, a female died suddenly with a pneumonia of sorts that was bacterial and antibiotics didn't help her.. Both large dogs. They played together.

I rescued another dog and it was a male and alot more jealousy this time was apparent as both males. My old guy was easy going and  always top dog. He wasn't interested in play but the younger dog got the drift and left him alone.

Now I am down to one dog which was my plan. He seems ok as only spent 6 mos. with my older one. Alot less work and dog hair. I just cant bear to come home to an empty house as live alone. It helped me to grieve my old Guy .  My new rescue is 50 pounds vs. 75 pounds which is easier for me to handle. 

Small dogs are easier in general to handle.  Two dogs arent difficult as you know when small size.I think time will tell what feels right for you and your Yorkie. He is only four and young so will have a long life. Likes to play I am sure as so  young. It depends also on your lifestyle home alot or not and traveling. My GF dog sits and easier to have one to care for.

Honored Contributor

You put what's best for YOU first and avoid humanizing your dog.  You are feeling the loss and so is your dog but you will both recover and move on.  You have each other and both you and your dog will develop new routines.  Your dog will learn to entertain herself as an "only".  Give it some time, a few months.  If you decide that you want another dog, for YOU, then get another dog.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't had a dog for a while, but when I did and was considering getting a companion, I read dogs prefer human company.    I don't remember the research that led to that conclusion, but I do know I never bought my Westie a companion and he never seemed to be depressed.

Honored Contributor

I think this depends on how much travel you have planned.  Were you comfortable taking both of them before?

Honored Contributor

@Marvsmom wrote:

One of my two dogs recently passed away. I am adjusting, but here is my question; my 4 year old little dog is now an only dog. He is obviously less active, and I think he really misses his brother. Should I get another dog? I'm torn. With just one dog it will be easier to go places. I love dogs absolutely but I have not had this problem for a long time. My remaining dog is a Yorkie, and he is the sweetest, easiest dog; smart funny. I feel selfish if I don't get another dog because he really loved having another dog to be around....thoughts?

@Marvsmom I think your dog would selfish if you limited your life from travel because of him.  He'll adjust and be fine!  Have fun with him, and you two deserve to both enjoy life!  Go travel and have a blast!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marvsmom 

We lost 4 of our felines in 2021, they were all over 18 except the last one, he was 17 years old. He died last Monday Afternoon. Our situation is probably different than yours, I suspect. Unless you are in your 70's or 80's, your situation is different. We don't want our pets to outlive both of us. 

We still have 2 felines and our 1 canine, Lily. Our 2 felines are: one is 20 years old, the other is 10 years old. The 2 felines are not together because they do not get along. Lily, our canine, gets along(kinda) with both of them.

If your dog is "a little dog" and 4 years old! Most little dogs have a longer expected life span than their much bigger counterparts. Huge dog breeds generally speaking, do not live as long.

My suggestion is to take time to assess your "little dogs" actions after losing his brother. Our dog, Lily is 7 years old, a small breed but she is as active as I want her to be. A little dog of 4 years old and healthy? Should still have plenty of "play" in him. That however can also be how he was raised.

I don't see the hurry if your "little dog" is only 4 years old and healthy. If his brother was from the same litter and he has never been without his sibling? That can make a big difference than just having another companion dog.

Give it time, think it through, and see how you "little dog" gets along in the meantime.

=^..^=

hckynut 🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Marvsmom I had 2 miniature schnauzers at one time and the older one passed away.  They were inseperable and the younger one that was left on her own passed away about 7 months later.  From my own experience, I do not think she would have warmed up to a replacement as she was skittish around other dogs.

Give your dog time to adjust and your own emotions to settle down, acceptance often   replaces closure.  Do not rush out seeking another.  I lost my wesr highland of 16 years July 4 and got a new puppy in August.  He is not the same dog!  TOBY was mild mannered and my new friend is like a white tornado, he is always wide open.  Yes I am older so perhaps patience is not my biggest virtue anymore.  Good luck on whatever decision you make..........

Honored Contributor

@Marvsmom 

I am sorry for your loss.

If your main concern is excercize and companionship, you might make play dates with friends dogs, and visit local dog parks.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras