Honored Contributor

Re: Give your opinion please-

@chrystaltree wrote:

You put what's best for YOU first and avoid humanizing your dog.  You are feeling the loss and so is your dog but you will both recover and move on.  You have each other and both you and your dog will develop new routines.  Your dog will learn to entertain herself as an "only".  Give it some time, a few months.  If you decide that you want another dog, for YOU, then get another dog.  

@chrystaltree 

My dogs have so many of the excellent character traits I wish many humans could develop. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

When our chihuahua Oreo passed away last January, Khloe (Silky) shut down. She wouldn’t play, go outside and would sleep a lot. 

My son and DH got me a Yorkie (Miss Zoe) and it was the best gift for me and Khloe. She bounced back and they play a lot together. 

Let us in what you decide for you and your baby.

Respected Contributor

My best friend died in 2020 and I was in so much pain and heartbreak I got another dog after two months.  Now I regret it.  I love this new dog but he has medical problems and other behavior problems that I cannot correct.  You never know what a new dog will be like.  My suggestion is to wait at least 3-6 months and then decide.  If I had given it another month or two I would not have made this mistake.  In my defense it was before we had a covid vaccine and I could not leave the house much and do things to distract myself.  I have had a lot of dogs and love dogs but some dogs love being the only one and others like company but you should do what is best for you not the other dog.  

Honored Contributor

@Marvsmom   I think your other dog is loving some solo atttention. I saw Molly "bloom" after Sadie passed away. 

We also think about another puppy, but the vet bills, boarding, etc. are half. Something to think about. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

Like others have said, it depends on so many things.  For the same reason as you, we got our 6-year-old pup a playmate when our other dog passed.  We rescued an adult dog that was 3 years old at the time.  Now, they are 12 and 9.  Based on their health, we are thinking we have about 5 years left with either one or both.  If they live another 5 years, I will be 64 and my husband will be 58.  We love, love, love dogs and have had dogs separately and together our whole lives but no more after this.  Especially if we got a pup or younger dog and say it lived 15 years, I could still be taking care of a dog when I am near 80!  For some, that would be fine, but as much as I love them both, no more after this.  I am tired of being tied down, vet costs are exorbitant, and as they are facing aging problems, it is a lot of stress.

My little lhasa is 13 years old - I got her when she was 2 months. I'm now 81 years young - and she makes my life Happy every day. Couldn't live without her.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

Like others have said, it depends on so many things.  For the same reason as you, we got our 6-year-old pup a playmate when our other dog passed.  We rescued an adult dog that was 3 years old at the time.  Now, they are 12 and 9.  Based on their health, we are thinking we have about 5 years left with either one or both.  If they live another 5 years, I will be 64 and my husband will be 58.  We love, love, love dogs and have had dogs separately and together our whole lives but no more after this.  Especially if we got a pup or younger dog and say it lived 15 years, I could still be taking care of a dog when I am near 80!  For some, that would be fine, but as much as I love them both, no more after this.  I am tired of being tied down, vet costs are exorbitant, and as they are facing aging problems, it is a lot of stress.

My little lhasa is 13 years old - I got her when she was 2 months. I'm now 81 years young - and she makes my life Happy every day. Couldn't live without her.

I'm so glad it was a good choice for you! Like I said, for some...like yourself...it is the right thing to do.