Trusted Contributor

Re: Give up two holiday gatherings and save lives

@Carolm I may be wrong, but I don't think street "parties" were what Depglass was talking about. Think about it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@depglass wrote:

Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings are going to cost a lot of lives this year.  Please consider staying home with your own household.  

That's quite an assumption.

If lives are lost, I would tend to look at the street crowds first. How about you tell them to stay home!

@ThinkingOutLoud I'm not sure it will be a lot, but history tells us it may be, if not well controlled. We have a higher incidence now than at our peak earlier this year. During that time, we heard of the results of some family get togethers, with awful results.

One family of 12, I think, got together for a BD party and (if memory serves) 7 of them acquired the virus and several died.  It almost wiped out that entire family. That was one story.

I do feel that small, controlled gatherings could be manageable, if precautions are taken. I don't think, however,  it's  being dictatorial for some to worry that some may not be here for 2021, if not cautious. We're too close to getting this thing under control, with vaccines coming, to mess up now. JMHO, btw.

Frequent Contributor

@BlueFinch 

Part of the situation in El Paso as well as other border cities/towns is occurring because a substantial number of people are crossing the border from Mexico into the US as the healthcare system in Mexico is collapsing/has collapsed.

While the border is technically closed, for those that reach the US seeking medical care, the US will provide it as we should.     This has occurred in Arizona and California as well.   

I only mention this to give a broader view of the situation.   The US continues to be generous to those in need.

I hope everyone stays safe during the holidays and makes the best decisions to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1  I feel the exact same way!  I think in times like this it is much better to be with a few friends and family members than to stay "safe" alone in one's house.

I'm speaking for myself now.  I'm a people person.  I love meeting and talking with people.  I can't explain it other than to say I feel energized talking with other's.  I don't mind being a sounding board for someone who feels walls closing in or having family issues.

I think (no I hear it all of the time...and we all know if we see it on TV...it real UGH!) that it can be very damaging for some people to sit alone in their house.

What good is being safe alone.....when you feel terrible sadness from missing the interaction of family and/or friends?

There's nothing like being able to talk to a friend about how life is closing in and to have the friend say, "I know exactly what you mean because I feel that way".

It helps a person be able to cope with life challenges to hear those words spoken by another.

So, all that being sad, if my daughter invites me over for Thanksgiving dinner (and I'm physically up to it); I will gladly hop on down the road so I can be with some of my favorite people in the world.

OK, so you know what?  This is my philosophy of life.  Never let words so unsaid.  I'm talking about words of love, support...just general kindness.

If you'd had your beloved drop dead almost in front of you, perhaps you (whomever is reading this) would realize none of us are guaranteed we will have a tomorrow.  

Live life.  But do it carefully.  Wear the freaking mask when out among others, but know that the chance you gave up to be with family members or loved one's might have been the last chance to see them alive....

I believe that paragraph was what my Dad would call.."food for thought".

To each his own.

Respected Contributor

@CathyNY Yeah, I'm well aware of why we're having the border city cases. And, yes, we've always been a source of medical care for those who've needed it. US citizens, or not.  These folks often come into central TX for their medical care, if they can make it. But, It becomes more problematic, when trying to control a spreading virus, during a pandemic. 

Honored Contributor

People don't appreciate being lectured to.  Many of us have been looking forward to seeing family for the holidays.  I don't plan on not seeing mine.

If we want to be fearful and worried about what we can do to make lives better...be sure not to overindulge in holiday food even if you're celebrating alone.  Heart disease is still the number one killer...far more people die from it than Covid and a lot of it has to do with lifestyle.

From what I've heard while Covid cases are increasing (a lot has to do with false positive testing) there are less deaths and it has gotten less deadly.

Honored Contributor

Life is pretty much back to normal where I live.

Everyone has different opinions and thoughts and all of us are going to do what we are going to do no matter what anyone else thinks,

Why do people keep wasting breath on this?  Really?  Anyway, won't be very long until this is all over and solved.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We must not forget, that the 'lecturing' goes two ways. It's become very divisive. There are clearly two tribes.  

I prefer to look at it as personal concerns and opinions, which we're all entitled to.  But, I'll just leave it at that. I'll just wish all a safe and healthy holiday,  and, I'm out...

Honored Contributor

We all have things about which we don't like to be lectured or even discussed.

Here's mine: I don't like hearing the constant deflection by talking about street "parties" as if that condones others' laxity; I especially don't like it when said people never did point to former inside and outside rallies.

I also wonder at people who don't seem to know the facts of this fall/winter surge, or if they do, they brush it off.

Secondary, I don't understand the thinking that we're going to be okay because a vaccine might be available in a few months.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Life is pretty much back to normal where I live.

Everyone has different opinions and thoughts and all of us are going to do what we are going to do no matter what anyone else thinks,

Why do people keep wasting breath on this?  Really?  Anyway, won't be very long until this is all over and solved.  

Because life is pretty much NOT back to normal in many areas. The hospital system i work for has double the cases of COVID POSITIVE  admissions than last week. That does not count the COVID positive tested people who are isolating at home and whose breathing is not life threatening.  The surge is real. 

I cannot believe some of the responses I'm reading. Some sound stubborn, some ignorant,  : shrug::