Honored Contributor

Girl Friend's Couch Let's Share

In my address book I have saved me possibly the only note my beautiful handsome dad ever wrote to me.  I lost him through divorce when I was ten even though he was the functional parent.  "A man couldn't possibly nurture children.".  (He should have been a psychologist, really!).  He was considered the "catch of the town" and he constantly taught me and led me to teach others.

I was back with him ninth grade through graduation from college.  

In my sophmore year he sent me something I absolutely had to have with his only ever note:  "Take this five dollars and buy a memo book".  He could never, ever know that this note would still be with me today and so cherished.  I found it again tonight and remembered......

Honored Contributor

Re: Girl Friend's Couch Let's Share

How lucky you are to have had a Dad who was so loving and sensitive to a young persons needs. My Dad was a nightmare, I fantasize to this day about growing up in a home with a great Dad.

Honored Contributor

My dad taught me how to do things around the house.  My sister and I didn't learn to cook, but we are very handy with tools and have always been very independent.  He passed in 2009.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG Your posting sent chills up my spine.It reminded me of a note my Dad wrote to me on a cardboard bakery box about 40 years ago!! It was for my 16th birthday.He surprised me with a birthday cake & scribbled a message on the box for me.It said"Happy birthday to my little sugar.You will always be my little girl.I love you,Daddy".

I still have that piece of cardboard!! My Dad died 30 years ago.I will cherish it forever!! Thank you for sharing & for helping me to remember!!  

Trusted Contributor

i just sighed and stared after reading this post. it brought back many unhappy memories. i wish i had a dad who actually acted like one. if they only realized what a huge impact they make on their children's future...

Super Contributor

My dad was the greatest human being I have ever known, or ever will know.  He was truly amazing.  He was the best dad.  I absolutely adored him my entire life and I miss him every day.  He gave me so many gifts, but the best was he taught me that I was okay to be just "me".  Faults and all, I was still deserving of all of his love.  My dad had an amazing ability to bring out the best qualities in everyone he encountered.  I have truly never met another human like him in all my years.  You couldn't find one person that knew him that didn't love him.

Regular Contributor

I have a note my father wrote me after spending the afternoon at my apartment.  I had left him snacks while my mother and I went shopping. He wrote me a sweet note and drew his signature little stickman and bird drawing.   He died in 2001 .   I laminated it and get it out every now and then .  Love you Dad

Contributor

I'm so happy for you that you found your Dad's note!

I have to tell you about this amazing website I found.  It started with a woman who had a note from her Dad that was very special to her - just like you!  She figured out a way to take the actual words in his handwriting and engrave it into a necklace (or bracelet, ring, etc.).

My Dad passed away but, I still have lots of cards from him.  I sent her a picture of a phrase, written by my Dad.  She made it into a necklace that I wear all the time.

The website is d r e s s d with the usual before and after.  The pieces are kind of expensive but, can't be any more special!  

I'm not at all affiliated with her, I just wanted to share.

Honored Contributor

@sockmonkey wrote:

I'm so happy for you that you found your Dad's note!

I have to tell you about this amazing website I found.  It started with a woman who had a note from her Dad that was very special to her - just like you!  She figured out a way to take the actual words in his handwriting and engrave it into a necklace (or bracelet, ring, etc.).

My Dad passed away but, I still have lots of cards from him.  I sent her a picture of a phrase, written by my Dad.  She made it into a necklace that I wear all the time.

The website is d r e s s d with the usual before and after.  The pieces are kind of expensive but, can't be any more special!  

I'm not at all affiliated with her, I just wanted to share.

@sockmonkeyThat's SO unique!  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

For all of you who have that special something on which your father wrote, think about having it framed and placed on your wall.  Don't keep it stored away.