Honored Contributor

Re: Gift-giving to workplace friends? Seeking your opinion

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Do you exchange gifts with people you work with? I have 3 female employees that report to me that I'm betting will get me something for Christmas (as they did last year). Yes, I got them some nice boxed candy/cookies, too, last year as I knew they were getting me something. The truth: I would really rather not exchange gifts and I just bet they feel the same way. Would it be tacky if I instituted a "no gift" policy in my department? Your thoughts? 

I feel that gift exchanges are inappropriate at work. At most, giving a greeting card to co-workers might be acceptable, but that is about it. 

I don't need or want gifts from co-workers and don't like feeling pressured to participate and spend my money in this way. I'm also not interested in pot-lucks and other junk food feasts at work. Doesn't fit in with my healthy lifestyle.

But most people seem to want gift exchanges and lots of junk food at work. 

Honored Contributor

I would not think it was tacky, I would think it would be welcome news to most people, who likely have enough to buy already without stretching their budget to workmates.

Before I retired (I was still working last Xmas) there were 6 people I would theoretically buy for - and I only *wanted* to buy for 2 of them, which I did. I also bought something for my boss, because...yeah. But she never reciprocated because she supervised about 12 people. That would be crazy to expect it of her.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of the last years that I worked, I got VPH's soy candles that were scented. I split them up among the group that I worked with. Each had it's own bag. In case someone couldn't or didn't buy one for me, it wasn't so much that they had to feel guilty. (Not from me guilty, by the way). It was always a welcomed gift.

We later just went the FOOD route! That was a lot more fun!!!

Respected Contributor

workplace gifts can get out of control.   one place i worked at for nearly 10 years started out with little $5  gifts among the staff of 5, and later jumped to $25.  the boss gave us these desk trinkets like a perpetual calendar or one of those Galileo thermometers. then we had to buy for the boss . to make matters worse we had to do our pre-review paperwork which she would read over our Holiday break.  she would use the pre-review document to formulate our annual performance reviews!   talk about pressure.    she was so persnickety. she was an only child, spoiled and  she had a childlike thrill opening gifts.  she could flip on a staff member if a gift was not liked. there went your review...

she hated anything made in China.  i would always try to find a Made in Japan gift because she loved all things Japanese. every year i would sweat the gift search for her because it could not be an inexpensive gift. then  find the prettiest wrapping paper and presentation.  omg so many years, so many times,  i wanted to suggest we not do departmental gift exchange! yet my boss loved it so much!!     then later, just before i left the company,   i learned the identical gifts she gave all staff over the years,   came out of her boss's discretionary budget and were purchased by her admin !!

Honored Contributor

@JJ wrote:

In my opinion, if you are their boss, you should give them something.  If they suggested not gift giving, that is one thing, but I do think it would be tacky for the boss to request it.  Again, just my opinion.

I don't think gifting should be up to the 'boss' but the responsibility of the company. I'm ok if the 'boss' wants to , but I think it puts the boss in an awkward position some times. I had 10 to 15 people I supervised, and didn't make a lot of money. It was uncomfortable to try to gift that many people at that time in my life and I always felt it was up to my company to remember it's employees.

I think the best approach, is for the OP to sit her 'crew' down and ask them if they really want to do the gifting thing or not, and suggest that it really isn't necessary if they aren't all into it, and she'd prefer they not add to their holiday stresses by buying for her. Maybe let the team decide as a whole what they want to do.