Respected Contributor

Re: GIFT IDEAS FOR HAIR STYLIST?

I usually increase my tip by $10-$20. I've been going to my stylist for over 10 years and always tip her well. The thing is, I have never received even a sample shampoo from the salon or stylist. To be shown a little recognition for my loyalty and patronage would be greatly appreciated.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Back in the mid 90's, I used to work in a salon as a receptionist.  At holiday time, the salon owner used to buy a ton of those small pointsettia plants and give them out the week of Christmas.  Of course this was also when most stylists were employed by the salon and not just renting space. 

Now, many salons in my area have holiday open houses and they do product giveaways, have food and beverages and give discounts on products.  My best friend's salon holds a holiday open house and if you purchase a gift card for future services, you get 20% off.  She generally buys a gift card to pay for a years worth of cuts.  Then she's paying $28.00 for a cut instead of $35.00.      

Respected Contributor

@reiki604 

Wow.  10 years and nothing?   I might change salon/stylist.

I'd gone to my hairdresser for about 3 years when we moved from PA to NM last year.   She gave me a large size of Living Proof shampoo and conditioner as a thank you for being her customer.   I really miss her too.  She did a great job all around.  Great cuts , root touchups and highlights.  We were very different politically, religiously and in other ways but could discuss anything respectfully and honestly. I miss our salon talks.

Respected Contributor

Reiki604:

Bridgegal, I think it's the rare exception for a hair salon stylist or colorist to give gifts to customers. Especially in a large city or cosmopolitian area.

These people don't make much $ to start with. Nice yours does recognize your loyality & patronage. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I typically gift mine a Mrs. Prindables apple, along with a Landies Candies pretzel & maybe some Enstrom's toffee.  She loves it!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

Yes, I do.  I might up the tip a bit.   Or might not.  I'm not cheap but I don't even buy my best friends, sister or nieces xmas gifts anymore.  We stopped all of that years ago.   Or husband for that matter.

So giving a hairdresser I've seen twice one is probably not going to happen.

Respected Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Reiki604:

Bridgegal, I think it's the rare exception for a hair salon stylist or colorist to give gifts to customers. Especially in a large city or cosmopolitian area.

These people don't make much $ to start with. Nice yours does recognize your loyality & patronage. 

@ahoymate 

I do too.   That's why I thought it was so sweet of her.  I started seeing her at the Beauty College and followed her to three places; each one a step up for her.   She is really good.