Respected Contributor

Re: GIFT IDEAS FOR HAIR STYLIST?

I double her tip.  Also I give her a nice mascara such as Hypnose Drama, iT Tightliner (I also have an extra on hand), or a Lancome Artliner eyeliner.

Honored Contributor

A long long time ago, in a century far far away, I used to worry myself silly trying to get a gift that was so creative, so special and would delight the recipient so much that they would be overwhelmed with joy.

Well, let's say there were some B IG and even E X P E N S I V E flops along the way.

I finally figured out that was more for me than them.  Stuff they would "never buy for themselves" was never bought by them for a reason.  They didn't want one.  If they had 36 of something, they'd be thrilled (usually) with number 37.  And so on.

Every piece of jewelry I bought my mom she either didn't wear or gave back to me.   Example. 

Having failed miserably one too many times, I figured out "get them what they want!"  ASK them or give them a gift card and they can get what they want and be happy.  Or buy tp or bath gel or milk or gas with it. 

HARD lesson learned but I learned it well. 

Honored Contributor

I give cash.  

I would never buy someone something with the intention they can re-gift it.  That's a waste of money and kind of thoughtless.

Honored Contributor

From August 2019  Atlantic article on how states are handling gift cards as part of their unclaimed property laws:

"As Starbucks and Amazon propelled gift cards into what was in 2018 a $95.7 billion market, the amount of unused money left on them has also grown. Somewhere in the range of $2 billion to $4 billion—experts aren’t exactly sure—will languish on gift cards this year, according to figures provided by the business research firm Mercator Advisory Group."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I've finally decided on an Amazon gift card, but will hand her the Christmas card and let her know there's a gift card inside so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. 

She also mentioned yesterday, during my appointment, that her family of 4 are on their own for Thanksgiving...not traveling to SC to be w/ family. This week while baking for my dinner, I'm going to do extra brownies, cookies, muffins and take her a gift basket on Friday for her meal. 

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

I have never known a hairstylist who does not apprciate cash as a gift.  They do not find it insulting and are very happy to receive it.

I have to agree.  I think most would prefer cash or a nice gift card. 

It may seem thoughtless to some but really they aren't family or friends even if you've been going to them for many years and you know their history. 

I give a gift card to both my hair stylist and manicurist.  (I've been going to my manicurist for over 25 years but I know she loves Starbucks and give her a gift card).  I used to bring a wrapped gift but switched several years ago to the gift card and I think she appreciates it more instead of having more stuff.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Am checking out a few stores today for maybe a wool/cashmere scarf w/ matching gloves. Gave that to my cleaning lady last year and she seemed happy. You never know. People rewrap and regift.

@Shanus   While a cashmere scarf & gloves sound very nice, how do you know she's not allergic to it?  ....I can't wear wool, not even cashmere.  What about color?  I've had people give me scarves as gifts and while they were nice, I didn't like the colors they chose on me.

Honored Contributor

I know she'll really appreciate that @Shanus .

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I'm gifting my hairstylist a Harry's shaving kit & a bottle of American Crew after shave lotion.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

I always give a generous cash gift. My hairdresser is so accommodating. She will even come in or her day off, if I need her.