Honored Contributor

Re: GIFT IDEAS FOR HAIR STYLIST?

I double my tip at Christmas.  I think money is appreciated more than anything else.  I give cash to my cleaning ladies, too.  I think they get enough "stuff" and really appreciate cash.

My sister is a teacher, and her favorite gifts are gift cards.  She gets more gift cards than anything else.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Speaking from 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥 experience, I can tell you the best gift is CASH.

Trust me, your stylist does not need any more gifts, so don't waste your money on something they don't want or need.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for a bigger tip.  I used to do gifts until I got smart.  While my stylist has always thanked me and acted like she liked everything I got her, I got much more entusiastic responses when I started just giving a bigger tip in December!  

Esteemed Contributor

I do a small box of good chocolates and cash..

For my hair stylist : a GC to her fave nail salon, which happens to be near my home.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Give her cash, perhaps a double tip on your visit closest to the holidays. After all, what you might think is a wonderful gift might very well be on her list of “gifts you do not want for the holidays”. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Another vote for cash.....never saw anyone not appreciate it. 

Respected Contributor

I always give my hair stylist cash as a Christmas gift. 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

jmpo

a gift card to a place I like isn't thoughtless 

just need to know where they go

I agree

There are gift cards that work like a credit card, you can use them anywhere you can use a credit card.

Regular Contributor

I give cash in a Christmas card with a Hershey's chocolate bar.

I like shopping for gifts but I know what I think a person may like usually is not the case so although less fun or "thoughtless" to give cash/gift card, I give cash.

Super Contributor

My stylist once told me that she had a closet full of "stuff" that customers had given her for Christmas over the years and that, as soon as she retired, she would find the time to donate everything to a local shelter. Cash was her preferred gift -- I always gave her cash and tried to personalize it by accompanying it with a small gift (like an innovative kitchen gadget). I also tried to put the money in a small box, e.g. a pretty box with a motif personal to her, which she could use to store a favorite piece of jewelry.