Honored Contributor

Re: GIFT IDEAS FOR HAIR STYLIST?

@software wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

jmpo

a gift card to a place I like isn't thoughtless 

just need to know where they go

I agree

There are gift cards that work like a credit card, you can use them anywhere you can use a credit card.

When I was young with little children, we didn't have very much money especially around the  holidays.  I worked one job as a stylist and my DH worked two jobs.

We wanted to make Christmas nice for the kids, so we robbed Peter to pay Paul and bought them gifts.  This created a problem with household bills.  What we needed for Christmas was cash.  My parents always gave us cash gifts and we depended on it. We spent the cash on the mortgage, or an electric or gas bill.  

You just never know the financial difficulties people sometimes  have.  You need cash to pay household bills.  I am sure everyone appreciates anything you give them.  The gesture is nice, but only cash can truly help when people need a hand around the holidays.

I will always remember those days when I was younger.  They were difficult and hard.  That's probably part of the reason I do not enjoy the holidays.  They are stressful for those who cannot afford the extra expense, especially when you have children.

For this reason, I always give cash and not gift cards.  When I get a gift card, I pass it on to someone else who could use it.  I hate those things. 

Honored Contributor

For the holidays I give my stylist double my usual tip.  Just cash in a nice card.

Respected Contributor

I love my hairstylist like a daughter...been with her for years.   I usually give her money along with a small gift, this year, a lighted  tabletop angel, last year a Mr. Christmas musical ornament.

Honored Contributor

I vote with the people who say cash. In addition to a card with cash, I give my stylist a loaf of my apple bread that I know she is fond of.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Cash. 

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with all the others who said give her cash - just what you would have spent on some item.  Most items in the price range of small "token of appreciation" gifts are not things people really want or need.  A polite person will thank you and tell you how wonderful it is, because they appreciate the fact you thought of them - it is your kindness they appreciate and don't want to hurt your feelings.  But truly, they would rather have the opportunity to take the combined money spent by all the people who gifted her all the unneeded token gifts, and just go buy something she really wants or needs.  I have rarely ever kept a token gift.  I accept it graciously and either give it away or donate it.  It is wasted money & time on the part of both parties.  Cash is easy for you and will go toward what the receiver most wants or needs.  Everybody is happy!

Write her a nice card with a personal note, then tuck the money inside.  Tell her to put it toward something special her heart desires.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

CASH:    Christmas = higher electric and heating bills for most people

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

My stylist is a guy and I have found that with money One size does fit all.  He is single and owns his home and goes on cruises and purchases whatever floats his boat so the extra tip has always been well received.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I'm at a loss. I usually spend between $25-$30...the same as my tip. Last year was a Basso throw that she loved. Since she's a stylist and can probably purchase all perfumes, bath gels, candles, etc. wholesale (& I dislike giving fragrance anyway)...Any ideas? Gift cards seem thoughtless! 

She doesn't wear jewelry to salon, so don't know her preferences or would make her something.

TIA

@Shanus   I will tell you she will be thrilled with a gift card of any amount over a gift.  She gets a lot of samples and stuff from people who supply the salon.  

If ten people get her a $20 gift card, that is $200.  You can do something with $200.  Think of that as opposed to three bath gels, three candles, two home made sweets she can't eat, and a couple of Christmas ornaments.  

When you don't know what someone really needs or will use, gift card is THE way to go!  Write a thoughtful card to go with the gift care, and you can be sure it will be appreciated and valued.

Esteemed Contributor

Amazon or Starbucks card