Honored Contributor

GETTING OUT OF TOWN....FIRST TRIP!!

[ Edited ]

Finally, going to Charlotte to see some relatives...even staying in a hotel overnight. WOW, excited, but it's been so long since I've packed up to go anywhere. I'm sure we'll do some eating outside at restaurants, visiting with my aunt turning 94 on the 15th and catching up in person with my cousin who's the same age, within 3 months. We were brought up like sisters...always lived accross the street growing up and were roomates in college. It's been tough not seeing family except on Facetime or Zoom.   

I need to think about skincare in travel sized containers, smaller amounts of makeup...not everything in my drawer, etc. When I used to visit Mom almost every other day (she passed away 2 years ago) and then COVID, I kept my cosmetic/skincare bag packed w/ duplicates in case I'd need to stay over.

Anyone been away or plan on going somewhere that's wondering, "What or how do I pack?"

Honored Contributor

Re: GETTING OUT OF TOWN....FIRST TRIP!!

I'll be going on a week long trip to the beach in June.  It will be pretty easy to pack for.  I'm not an over taker.  In fact, I have the opposite problem and have been known to under pack.  I have a harder time packing for a camping trip which we did all last summer and fall.

Whatever you pack, enjoy!

Respected Contributor

I started traveling again in the late fall of 2020 and I pack the way I've always packed. I don't understand why you would do something different than you've always done, unless you've realized that you were lugging far too much along.

I can pack and be out the door for a month in under an hour. You just do it. Over-thinking is how people end up with a full sized suitcase for an overnight trip. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I'm assuming you're not flying if you're only do an overnighter, so why pack travel size anything? 

As I applied my makeup on the day of the trip, I would simply pack it up at the same time.  That way I wouldn't be missing anything.

Have a great time, how wonderful to see your aunt on her birthday. 

I had a very special great aunt. Heart

I just found something this morning with her writing on it.  I bet it's from about 37 years ago.  She's been gone for almost 30 years.

We're leaving for our place up north in the next few weeks and luckily we can drive there.  Makeup is one of the few things I do have to pack as the house is already stocked up. 

I don't even have to take my houseplants --or cats!!!  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  I haven't gone anywhere yet. I hope you have a great time catching up with your family.Stay safe 💐

Honored Contributor

My second shot is at the end of this month so we were thinking of a May vacation. Unfortunately, it was supposed to be in Michigan whose Covid rates are really wonky at the moment.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I want to  vacation near water this early summer, but prefer not to fly...we think we could drive to Louisiana, or Alabama with out much trouble.  I'll have to reasearch both  areas, (or ask for suggestions from the boards). we have never been to either state.

@Shanus   Enjoy your trip!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  How exciting!    I cannot wait to start traveling again, that has been what I've missed most other than spending more time with my adult children.   We have just rescheduled (again) our riverboat cruise in Portugal to 2022.   It does seem things are getting better and loosening up a bit more for domestic travel.  We won't go too far in 2021 but we did reserve a hotel on the ocean in Maine this August.

That will be nice and we also have friends camping in the same area that we will spend time with up there.

As far as your packing, I totally get it.  My hubby calls me the professional packer. I take it quite seriously, never overpack and don't forget anything.  Of course I start slowly getting things together a week before departing.  I was thinking the same thing myself as I have outfits I only use on vacations and have a mental inventory (or had) of where everything is, LOL!   I will need a refresher course in efficient packing due to the time elapsed!  Have fun Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ   Thanks. They've all had 2 vaccines and so have we. We waited the year to my aunt and at 94, better now than not at all. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

My husband and I want to  vacation near water this early summer, but prefer not to fly...we think we could drive to Louisiana, or Alabama with out much trouble.  I'll have to reasearch both  areas, (or ask for suggestions from the boards). we have never been to either state.

@Shanus   Enjoy your trip!

@Mom2Dogs  Yes, we're driving and not planning a vacation that requires flying anytime soon.