Esteemed Contributor

Re: Friends for Seven Decades Plus

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart 

I think you did the right thing.

I was very disappointed to hear a friend of mine talk terribly about a former president.  It was clear his comments were racially motivated.  Told him we could NOT talk politics.

After that, I decided he wasn't the man I thought he was.  We are still friends, but have very limited contact and NEVER talk politics.

Even my own sister makes me crazy, so we don't say a word about politics.  Sadly, I don't know where her views come from.  They are very ugly at their core and....it makes me sad.

Respected Contributor

Timely thread...this past week I spent the day with a group of schoolmates....we've been friends for almost 60 years.  Many different political and religious viewpoints....which we didn't need to discuss.  There were plenty of other topics to share, and SO many laughs.  I love those ladies, and I know they love me, too.  

Respected Contributor

You are so lucky.  My 85 year old Mother-in-law is still friends with the little girl she sat next to in the 1st grade.  Both still doing well. I have no idea of any differences in their politics, though. Smiley Happy

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I can't even imagine such a long friendship, you are both very fortunate.  And very wise to keep politics and other differences out of your friendship.  It's probably why you have been friends for such a long time.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This discussion prompts me to write the following:

I chuckle as I recount what happened last week, but it just goes to show you that when it comes to politics, leave your best friends and relatives out of it, if you can.

A week ago, a woman running for the Board of Supervisors appeared at my front door.  I remember her from her days as PTA president at the local elementary school. I've read about her steady climb in the local political community, and she is highly respected.  As she knew from records, I'm usually a member of her squad.

Of course we soon started talking about what a great divide there is between so many people these days.  I said to her that if I eliminated from my life those on the other squad, I would have to say goodbye to my favorite relatives, friends and members of my church.  That just wasn't going to happen.

With a grin, she then related this:  "My parents are 'members of the other squad.'  They live in New Jersey and vote for 'that squad.'   And here I am..."

When I went back into my house, I had to laugh at the situation.   (From what I could gather, there is no animosity between her and parents, I am happy to report.)  A  daughter is a successful politician on the opposite side of the political beliefs of this family.  Reminds me of Alex in "Family Ties."  Remember how he differed from his family's politics?

Life loves to play little jokes on us. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

This discussion prompts me to write the following:

I chuckle as I recount what happened last week, but it just goes to show you that when it comes to politics, leave your best friends and relatives out of it, if you can.

A week ago, a woman running for the Board of Supervisors appeared at my front door.  I remember her from her days as PTA president at the local elementary school. I've read about her steady climb in the local political community, and she is highly respected.  As she knew from records, I'm usually a member of her squad.

Of course we soon started talking about what a great divide there is between so many people these days.  I said to her that if I eliminated from my life those on the other squad, I would have to say goodbye to my favorite relatives, friends and members of my church.  That just wasn't going to happen.

With a grin, she then related this:  "My parents are 'members of the other squad.'  They live in New Jersey and vote for 'that squad.'   And here I am..."

When I went back into my house, I had to laugh at the situation.   (From what I could gather, there is no animosity between her and parents, I am happy to report.)  A  daughter is a successful politican on the opposite side of the political beliefs of this family.  Reminds me of Alex in "Family Ties."  Remember how he differed from his family's politics?

Life loves to play little jokes on us. 

I admire your spirit, @golding76, even if I can match it only sometimes. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

My family and friends never discuss politics or religion, if we did we would never get together.

Honored Contributor

Long friendships are the best.  I have two friends from 10th grade that I still connect with.  One I email with and the other I see a couple times a year.  We can talk about stupid things we did in our 20's and laugh till it hurts.

We were brought up not to talk about.politics and I don't.  I have a different friend who likes to and she tried to once.  I knew it wouldn't end well, so I changed the subject.