Honored Contributor

Re: Friends - Are you a good friend?

@godi 

Smiley Very Happy

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 @on the bay I think you girls have come up with the best description between the two of you.

Kahlil Gilbran on Friendship.

Amazon.com: Kahlil Gibran - On Friendship - 11x14 Unframed ...

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

That is so beautiful ---- thank you!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I consider myself to be a good friend...I'll listen and offer what I can when times are tough and enjoy sharing when times are good.

This topic reminds me of a conversation that I had recently with a friend.  This was back in early April.  She was complaining about her hair and told me that as soon as her salon was open she would be going.  She had an appointment for early May.  Because she couldn't drive (a temporary current issue) another friend offered to take her. 

I commented my surprise about the friend driving her.  She said that her friend was a good friend and she would do the same for her.  I felt like I was basically being told that I wasn't a good friend but under the circumstances I feel that driving a friend to get their hair done would be too much of a risk right now even if salons are allowed to open.  I would do what I can for a friend but not risk my or DH's life so a friend can get her hair done...my vent!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 His small book The Prophet is amazing and has been quoted for decades.

The "story" is about a prophet that is leaving and the people ask him about various parts of life.  Each part is a 2-3 page chapter.

This book has been gifted to graduates for years.  I would never be without its inspiration.

The Prophet (A Borzoi Book): Kahlil Gibran

Valued Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I consider myself to be a good friend...I'll listen and offer what I can when times are tough and enjoy sharing when times are good.

This topic reminds me of a conversation that I had recently with a friend.  This was back in early April.  She was complaining about her hair and told me that as soon as her salon was open she would be going.  She had an appointment for early May.  Because she couldn't drive (a temporary current issue) another friend offered to take her. 

I commented my surprise about the friend driving her.  She said that her friend was a good friend and she would do the same for her.  I felt like I was basically being told that I wasn't a good friend but under the circumstances I feel that driving a friend to get their hair done would be too much of a risk right now even if salons are allowed to open.  I would do what I can for a friend but not risk my or DH's life so a friend can get her hair done...my vent!

It's your friend not being a good friend  for-putting  someone to drive her in harms way for such a menial reason.

Honored Contributor

@embgm   I feel that way too.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

I really understand what you mean!  I feel also that offering support and doing what you can is being a good friend.  However, if you feel that something is detrimental or harmful, then I feel it is a duty of a good friend to say something or try to prevent it.  Sometimes being a good friend might mean not saying or doing what a person wants to hear or do, but what a person needs to have or hear! 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Thank you for suggesting this.  I will look this up --- most appreciative!!! 

Honored Contributor

I think so, and have been told so.

My friends are easy to maintain relationships with, as everyone is very independent and views friendship as a connection, not a crutch.

No one is clingy or needy, no one whines, no one needs a shopping buddy, etc. Everyone is good with a quick call, text or email, or an occasional birthday lunch. None of my friends are looking for that teenage friend connection.