Super Contributor

Re: Free 2-Year Magazine Subscriptions?

@Pook thanks for the heads up.  Purchased 2 Martha Stewart cookie cook books (1 for me and 1 for a friend) that had a free subscription card...I filled mine out.  I have not received magazine yet but be sure to cancel before they start billing me.  Will have to find out when friend starts receiving her magazines as well since I don't want to have my card billed for her additional magazines.  I appreciate the info you all share with others.

Respected Contributor

I was told that some people get free magazines due to their demographics.

Mag. need to keep their numbers up to back-up the ads they $ell so it will send out free magazines to maintain the numbers.

We get several magazines a month free between my DH and me.  We also get DAILY requests for donations to every charity known to mankind.

I know we are not paying for the magazines because we would spot the charges as we still get paper cc statements so we check every item.

Honored Contributor

Google  "free magazine subscriptions".

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop  A while back I purchased Better Homes and Gardens bed sheets,

at a clearance price too, and inside was a postcard to fill out or sign up 

online and I received a year of their magazine Better Homes and Gardens.

A nice freebie. Maybe they still do it with their products, not sure.

Trusted Contributor

www.slickdeals.net has a forum for free magazines. Pickings are slim these days, though.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Yes, they will automatically renew the magazine if you give your credit card/debit card number.  

I think 'the best bet' is to order via check. 

'That', or make sure you mark on a calendar when the first issue arrives, and make sure to cancel when you receive a renewal notice, about one or two months prior to the new renewal issue.  

You have to call them to make sure, in addition to write 'Cancel' on the bill or 'Cancel' online.  

It's called 'Automatic Renewal' online when you order by credit card, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I just received a magazine subscription offer via real mail...........Now that's not automatically renew (I believe), so I just might send a check, if and when I decide.  

I'll have to read the fine print tomorrow.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I was using discount magazines and other sellers like that to get 5 year subcriptions for like $5.  

I have let all of my subscriptions expire and am down to the last one, Eating Well.  They combined with Cooking Light so they added another year onto my existing subscription.  It will be done in April 2021.

For a long time, as the magazines I was subscribing to were going under, they were rolling it into Martha Stewart Living and Better Homes & Gardens.  At one point my BH&G subscription was 8 years.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

You can end up on someone’s mailing list or email address and that can spawn magazines coming regularly. I bought a 6 month sub for a car magazine for SIL in 2007 and it is still coming every month! Even tried to cancel several times to no avail. As long as I am not being charged, no problem. He just takes it to the airport since he flies most days and leaves it at the gate on a chair for others to read.
Honored Contributor

If you ever have magazines you are no longer wanting to keep, it is great to leave them in the lobby of hospitals or at the gates in airports. People are always wanting something to read when their device is charging or they just want something else to look at. Make sure to cut off your name and address before leaving it.