Esteemed Contributor

Found my Christening outfit...wondering if I can wash it

My Mom passed 3 years ago and I still had a few boxes to go through that I just put in the back of my closet. I just retired and I am cleaning out closets. I found my Christening dress just folded in a shirt box. It has that 'old' smell.

I was wondering if I could swish it in some Woolite and cold water and hang it up to dry. I am pretty sure it is Nylon with no beads or anything...just lace.

Anyone have any experience washing old dresses?

Respected Contributor

Re: Found my Christening outfit...wondering if I can wash it

I would do that.  Just put it in the sink for a few minutes and swish away.  I think it will be ok

Contributor

I love christening dresses. I wanted to wash my daughters for my granddaughter to wear and found the boxed dress dingy, yellow, and old looking. I looked on line to learn the dress could be washed in salt and water.  I followed the suggested directions and the dress came out bright white and looked like new.

i remember dissolving the salt in warm water and soaking the dress...it came out great.  The dress was not a nylon, though. I don't know if this makes a difference.  

Trusted Contributor

To be on the safe side if it is nylon or maybe silk use just a mild detergent Woolite. Warm to cool water.  Wash by hand and put in a towel and roll it up to get the water out. No fabric softener. I use to collect vintage christening dresses and washed  many. No bleach never. If you put it on a child's hanger to dry be careful. If by chance it is silk it can pull apart. Nylon is strong. Just watch out for frayed seams,