Esteemed Contributor

@henderson wrote:

Personally, I would not give to a homeless person.  They might want to buy drugs or alcohol.  Much better to donate to a reputable organization.  Check out charitynavigator.org to see how much they actually get and what the CEO's makek.

**************************************************************************************************

Are you serious?  Once you give it away, it's not your business what they decide to do with it.  Personally, I would keep it, just like most others here would do.  I love these people who say they paid for the person in front of them at the grocery store because they "looked" like they needed the food, or other nonsense.  When someone does a good deed, they don't have to advertise it IMO.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604@Haha love your response!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden I know it seems funny that I worry about doing something good with the money but I guess i feel that it isn't mine to enjoy but meant for me to do something good.I feel like it is a test of my heart.

Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps you should tuck it away for a while and see if you feel inspired about what to do with it.  I found a substantial amount of money once, right after I’d given a substantial amount to a family member.  Unbeknownst to me this family member had been praying for help because all other doors were closed.  In my case, I felt like it was a gift from the Universe, a “thank you” for what I’d done.  I felt like I was being paid back and put it in my savings account.  Each situation is different but there’s nothing wrong with keeping it, a special gift meant for you. 

Honored Contributor

For me it would depend on my current finances and situations.

There was a time in my life where finding that kind of money would have been a huge windfall. We had only enough to pay the basic bills, and went months at a time with absolutely no disposable income (not for clothing or shoes, not for movies, or eating out, not for anything but the bare necessities). At that time I would have saved half and spent half on something non essential.

Today, that kind of money won't make or break me, so I'd consider it a gift that I should keep on giving. I personally seem to have an envelope in the drawer from St Jude's all the time and I'd drop the cash in it and mail it to them.

I think if you need it use it, if it is a mere drop in the bucket for your financial situation, let someone who is less fortunate have it be their windfall!

Honored Contributor

Interestingly, I read an article today about a couple who found $10,000 in an envelope left in a shopping cart in a parking lot and turned it in.

I personally would've turned it in to the police dept. in case someone reported it missing and may have known they lost it on that road or in that area.

But that's just me, no judgement here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3855928/Nearly-10K-cash-left-shopping-cart-returned-owner.ht...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

Perhaps you should tuck it away for a while and see if you feel inspired about what to do with it.  I found a substantial amount of money once, right after I’d given a substantial amount to a family member.  Unbeknownst to me this family member had been praying for help because all other doors were closed.  In my case, I felt like it was a gift from the Universe, a “thank you” for what I’d done.  I felt like I was being paid back and put it in my savings account.  Each situation is different but there’s nothing wrong with keeping it, a special gift meant for you. 

Just my opinion, but your finding a "substantial amount of money after giving a substantial amount to a family member", was Not a "gift from the Universe, a 'thank you' for what you'd done".

You basically profited from someone else's loss, IMHO.

BTW, lost and found ads are free in all newspapers.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@dex. I understand how you feel! Why not buy some nice treat and take it to a place you think should get a thank you! The poice department, the library, Emergency room, fire department, any one who often works hard but is rarely thanked! Some pizzas, or cookies, candy, donuts, anything unexpected is a big deal! How nice of you to think of others! I believe what goes around, comes around! You won't be forgotten for your thoughtfulness!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom. I've learned the hard way thru the years NOT to turn anything in to anyone! Yes, I try hard to find the owner, but I don't turn it over to anyone else! Too often, the person I trust to hold it for the original owner "doesn't wait long enough" or " try hard enough"!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@KingstonsMom. I've learned the hard way thru the years NOT to turn anything in to anyone! Yes, I try hard to find the owner, but I don't turn it over to anyone else! Too often, the person I trust to hold it for the original owner "doesn't wait long enough" or " try hard enough"!

@Imadickens

I would trust turning it into the police, in case the loss was reported.

After a certain amount of time, if not claimed, the finder can then claim it from the police dept. Been there and done that.

And I would run a 'found' ad, where the person would have to know approximately where they lost it, the total amount and the increment of bills.

But that's just me.