Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It sounds like you aren't fostering because eventually you will adopt him.  I'd call it pre-adoption.  But many vet offices actually do have people who do real foster pets who are either recovering for surgery/illness themselves or the pet's owners aren't physically able to care for a pet.  My own sister and her cat have been in those situations and two loving and caring families fostered her cat until she was able to take him home.

My sister is legally blind and now has some arthritis in her hands.  When her cat had surgery, she couldn't manage his care and his meds so he went into foster care for a few weeks and when she was hospitalized for a couple a weeks, her cat again went to foster care (different family) until she was ready for him to come home.  I wasn't even aware of this fostering of pets.  I know that privately people do it for friends and family but I did not know it was a formal thing.  I don't think vet offices tell people about this option unless pet owners tell them about that they are in need of  pet care.  My sister was just chatting with the vet assistant and casually mentioned that she hoped a neighbor would help with medications and such for her cat because she couldn't see well enough.  She was just venting.  And then the vet assist said  "we have a list of foster care families" and they made the arrangements.   

That is how we got Happy.  We were fostering her while her second owner was in the hospital, then rehab, and then unfortunately passed away.  She is still here after almost 7 years, at the ripe old age of 16.  We would not have it any other way.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

It sounds like you aren't fostering because eventually you will adopt him.  I'd call it pre-adoption.  But many vet offices actually do have people who do real foster pets who are either recovering for surgery/illness themselves or the pet's owners aren't physically able to care for a pet.  My own sister and her cat have been in those situations and two loving and caring families fostered her cat until she was able to take him home.

My sister is legally blind and now has some arthritis in her hands.  When her cat had surgery, she couldn't manage his care and his meds so he went into foster care for a few weeks and when she was hospitalized for a couple a weeks, her cat again went to foster care (different family) until she was ready for him to come home.  I wasn't even aware of this fostering of pets.  I know that privately people do it for friends and family but I did not know it was a formal thing.  I don't think vet offices tell people about this option unless pet owners tell them about that they are in need of  pet care.  My sister was just chatting with the vet assistant and casually mentioned that she hoped a neighbor would help with medications and such for her cat because she couldn't see well enough.  She was just venting.  And then the vet assist said  "we have a list of foster care families" and they made the arrangements.   

That is how we got Happy.  We were fostering her while her second owner was in the hospital, then rehab, and then unfortunately passed away.  She is still here after almost 7 years, at the ripe old age of 16.  We would not have it any other way.

It's a wonderful thing for the pet and the owner.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You did a good thing, OP.  

My son recently adopted a 9 yr old dog.  She had been abused, had some health issues that my son took care of, and needed a loving home.  I adore her and she spends a day or two at my house while my son works.  She's 75 pounds of lap dog sweetness.  

I adopted a 2 yr old dog 5 years ago.  He had also been abused. He didn't even know how to eat/drink out of a bowl as he'd never done it before.  He will never be normal but knows he's loved and safe with me.  He's king of my house and I wouldn't know what to do without him.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 

Thank you for taking in this dog, be it only to foster or his forever home. It takes special people to foster dogs that have been abandoned or abused, or both, and you obviously are one of them.

My wife is on the board of a 5 state Boxer Rescue Organization, and she drives dogs from one state to another when necessary, and saves them from the he!! of so many Kansas Puppy Mills it makes me sick. She also visits the homes of "potential foster and/or forever homes" to make sure all their standards are met before giving any dog to anyone.

I hope everything goes well for your kitty, and also for this dog you took in to show love and caring.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Knew a Boxer years ago named Penney. She was a lovely ggirl.

And speaking of puppy mills two of our guys come from Amish puppy mills. The Amish are the worst.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Regular Contributor

thank you for opening your heart and home. senior dogs need love and caring and to be important to someone again.

Honored Contributor

Our Kitty Girl is doing well. She has decided to join the others. Neither Kitty Girk nor our foster are interested in the other -which is a good thing.

Our foster is such a good boy. He haas learned the pet door. We think he did not have much of a life before he came to live w/us. 

Two songs we think of: Coming home to a place he's never been before and 
He came came to live w/us and he came to be my friend.

The cousin Matthew song always makes me sob.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Valued Contributor

Hey Holliesunshine!  God Bless You and both of your babies.

They both are so lucky to have a loving, kind and happy home.

I just love what you are doing.  Thank YouHeart

Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Our Kitty Girl is doing well. She has decided to join the others. Neither Kitty Girk nor our foster are interested in the other -which is a good thing.

Our foster is such a good boy. He haas learned the pet door. We think he did not have much of a life before he came to live w/us. 

Two songs we think of: Coming home to a place he's never been before and 
He came came to live w/us and he came to be my friend.

The cousin Matthew song always makes me sob.

Thats wonderful  @Group 5 minus 1 !