Honored Contributor

Former Teachers Who Miss Your Profession

I wistfully passed three schools all together this morning on the way to work. 

I remembered the wonderful days of teaching my passion and how wonderful the students used to enjoy what I was sharing.

I remembered how very hard we all worked to prepare examples and the respect from students who would one day lead the world we live in.

I saw joy, success, and in some cases, pain.

I missed it all in that sweet second.  

I hope all of the teachers remember I loved being there.

My licence has expired.

Am I the only one whom missed teaching?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Former Teachers Who Miss Your Profession

@ECBG    I miss it everyday.  I loved working with elementary students.  Fortunately I have small grandkids now....so I get to relive some of those old memories.  The first day of school was today in my area. I saw the school bus stop at the end of my street and I felt a little sad.  My granddaughter starts on Thursday.  She is so excited to get back and start a new year.  I love to see the enthusiasm.  

Trusted Contributor

I miss teaching, but I am glad I was able to retire when I still loved what I did.  It was frustrating at times, but it had lots of rewards, too.  Now I work for our state university supervising (observing and evaluating) student teachers who come to my part of the state.  I love working with these young, eager, positive students.  It keeps me in touch with the profession and gets me back into classrooms, but I don't have to be there every day. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG Aww, it sounds like you really enjoyed it.  Maybe you could sub or become a teacher's aide?  I think that would be somewhat fulfilling?

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@ECBG Aww, it sounds like you really enjoyed it.  Maybe you could sub or become a teacher's aide?  I think that would be somewhat fulfilling?

@Lucky Charm 

You are more than sweet to consider me.

Subs have handouts, sit, and watch.  I can't teach my passion.  The teacher expects the work to be done, all are against the state test.  Those students have to succeed.

I am told I am the area's top stylist.  I teach ladies how to put things together which they are comfortable in but can also look amazing.

Thank you for your kindness.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

After 44 years, retired June, 2019. I am happily retired but loved my job. I  started in kindergarten and taught all grades up to 5th,  For more than 25 years I taught gifted students in resource, pull out, and full time gifted programs. 

I have missed going in to help teacher friends set up and decorate their classrooms because of Covid.

I still stay in touch with teacher friends,former students and parents, and even one principal.

Soon I will be getting the text that oldest granddaughter has a project. I always loved projects myself and thoroughly enjoy working with my granddaughter. Best of all, she appreciates my help. This year she is in 4 th, a big year for writing. I assured her that I will guide her as this was my expertise. 

Once a teacher, always a teacher!

Honored Contributor

@Zaimee wrote:

After 44 years, retired June, 2019. I am happily retired but loved my job. I  started in kindergarten and taught all grades up to 5th,  For more than 25 years I taught gifted students in resource, pull out, and full time gifted programs. 

I have missed going in to help teacher friends set up and decorate their classrooms because of Covid.

I still stay in touch with teacher friends,former students and parents, and even one principal.

Soon I will be getting the text that oldest granddaughter has a project. I always loved projects myself and thoroughly enjoy working with my granddaughter. Best of all, she appreciates my help. This year she is in 4 th, a big year for writing. I assured her that I will guide her as this was my expertise. 

Once a teacher, always a teacher!

@Zaimee , Your granddaughter is a lucky girl !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I was not a teacher, but Secretary to the Principal in a 7th to 12th grade school.  Before that I worked in corporate for 30 years.  Two very different jobs. 

I retired June 2018, but still miss my job, the students, teachers, even parents!Woman Tongue  I was also the union president for clerical and custodial staff. 

I think about what I needed to do to prepare for the first few days of school.  Seniors coming in to change their schedules for the simple reason that they could.  Pain in the bu** but I loved it.

I now live in another state, but when I moved here, I got myself into the school district as an on call sub.  Sometimes I'm in the office, sometimes in the classroom as an aide.  Love the students.

Trusted Contributor

I always miss teaching when the back to school hustle and bustle begins. My teaching certification is lifetime and I have been asked to sub or come back to teaching. Financially it would be a big mistake since I would lose my pension. With what I see on the news now, I am thankful I am retired and would probably be fired quickly since I would not agree with some of the nonsense that are being demanded of teachers now.

I do miss my students. 

Respected Contributor

This makes no sense at all