Trusted Contributor

Re: Former Teachers Who Miss Your Profession

@ECBG    My granddaughter had "meet the teacher" tonight at school... I can't believe this.  Her new 3rd grade teacher was one of my student teachers in a different district.  
Small world.   🤗

Honored Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@ECBG    My granddaughter had "meet the teacher" tonight at school... I can't believe this.  Her new 3rd grade teacher was one of my student teachers in a different district.  
Small world.   🤗

@Mombo1 

Isn't it fun what happens when you aren't looking for it?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mombo1 wrote:

@ECBG    My granddaughter had "meet the teacher" tonight at school... I can't believe this.  Her new3rdd grade teacher was one of my student teachers in a different district.  
Small world.  🤗�

@Mombo1 

I have a funny story as well!

In the 5th grade I had a teacher that wasn't a favorite teacher at all, Mrs "N".

Mrs "N" 's son became a member of our House Of Representatives in NC.

I taught his adopted son AND his daughter!!! 

That would have been Mrs' N's grandson and his great granddaughter!!!

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Mombo1 wrote:

Small world.   🤗

@Mombo1 

Isn't it fun what happens when you aren't looking for it?

@ECBG    Absolutely!  My granddaughter was so excited that her teacher actually knew me.  Guess she will be on her best behavior this year. 😊

Respected Contributor

I miss the students.  I can honestly say there was never a dull moment with the young ones.  I taught 2nd gr for the majority of my career but also taught 5th, 3rd and 1st. In addition I taught Title 1, or what most folks know as remedial reading.

As much as I missed the children I only went into school to volunteer once because I was helping my elderly parents for the first few years of my retirement.  Helping my mom and dad was emotionally and physically demanding and most days I was too tired to consider getting involved in anything else.

I'd like to volunteer but now isn't the right time.  At some point I will because being around young ones keeps us young!  Must say though, I definitely do not miss all the data collection, special projects we had to submit during the year, boring inservices days, etc. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kalli 

When I was in the 2nd grade, I was taught by the "Sisters Of Mercy" and attended school in a large wooden Victorian building.

One day at recess, the class was jumping rope with one of the BIG ropes that takes a person on each end.  Our young "Sister" pulled up her robes and jumped rope!  

When DH and I first married, I worked at a college owned and run by the "Sisters Of Mercy" in another part of the state until I could get into the classroom.

Victoria Inn | The Preservation Society of Asheville & Buncombe County

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

I totally understand. I miss teaching too.

After 32 years teaching, I retired in 2017, much earlier than I wanted, but my health was failing at the time. I started out teaching 3rd grade in the early 1980s, but most of my career was spent teaching science to 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. I absolutely loved teaching science. I am proud to say many of my former students have careers in science. 

With my health much improved and a current teacher shortage, I considered returning to teaching this year. I am only 59. My husband and doctor were adamantly opposed to it though. They're probably right. I think my head knows retirement is best for me, but my heart still misses it. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

My certification has expired by almost 12 years.  The school technology has advanced by almost 12 years.  

I work with color now which is most of my heart.  Recertification would be worse than trying to get chewing gum out of my hair!!!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG when I was in first grade I thought the nuns were born nuns!  Smiley LOL

I went to parochial school from K through 12.  Then went to a public college and what an eye-opener that was!  Found out in a hurry how much I didn't know about certain things!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@ECBG when I was in first grade I thought the nuns were born nuns!  Smiley LOL

I went to parochial school from K through 12.  Then went to a public college and what an eye-opener that was!  Found out in a hurry how much I didn't know about certain things!  Smiley Wink

@Kalli 

I started parochial school as a second grader.  I thought the name for a "nun" was a "bump"!!!  I haven't a clue why!!!