Honored Contributor

Re: For those working from home

I'm retired but my kids told me if you have school aged children under 13 you are "work at home" until 6/25 when school would have ended.

After this, you will go to work.  Only few jobs will be work-at-home.

If you have medical reasons, a doctors letter and then management will make the decision.

My friend told me they are staggering work area and strict guidelines.  They are suppose to return July 1.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are returning in stages.  Current date for stage 1 is July 1.  Stage 1 are those that have struggled working at home.  I don't see the rest of us going back until at least Labor Day.  I'm in no hurry to return.  I work better with no interuptions.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GCR18 wrote:

We are returning in stages.  Current date for stage 1 is July 1.  Stage 1 are those that have struggled working at home.  I don't see the rest of us going back until at least Labor Day.  I'm in no hurry to return.  I work better with no interuptions.

So true about no interruptions.  My group will be able to finish a huge project by mid June.  We could have never done it in the office because of all the interruptions.  And I still have time for a walk at lunch.  

Esteemed Contributor

College campus. Returning in phases. I'll go back one day a week beginning in June. That may last until the end of the year. I'll retire around then. Missing my enjoyable work environment. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

I work at a large tech firm in Silicon Valley. Many tech companies are adjusting their thinking about WFH, and have told employees they can continue doing so for as long as they want.

I really miss going into the office.  I have a great office set up at home, but no A/C, and my 2nd floor apartment gets stifling hot. Plus, there are a couple small kids in the apartment below me that have periodic meltdowns, and there is a lot of shrieking going on.  

If I had a longer commute, I might take a different view, but my commute is blessedly short.  

We've been told we can WFH as long as we feel the need to do so.  As soon as they tell us we can go back to the office with no mask (but still maintain social distancing), I am so outta here.  I might be the only one on my floor at first.  I don't care....

Super Contributor

Working at home was a challenge for me at first.... Not just missing the office or the people but learning a new way to handle my every day duties.  I did not have a computer at home so work loaned me a laptop...Took some time but my boss was great and walked me through every detail of what I now had to do and get there from his phone. I made sure I did get dressed every day and fixed my hair... That was from an article I read on how to stay focused and not get depressed - try and follow your normal routine and it makes the day a litle better... Since being home I purchashed a new car and so it sits in the driveway but the best part is my gas lasts... Going for a long ride on weekends is a treat.... So for me working from home is not so bad  - just miss shopping and getting hair done which I hope is soon....My office does not have any details about opening up again at this time so it's a wait and see...

Honored Contributor

@morganjen  I went back to the office on Tuesday after 2 months working from home.

I was lucky, I guess; I was among the last to go back to the office. But this is Florida and no one practices social distancing at all and my mask is the only one I’ve seen. There was a knock on my office door this afternoon and, when there was no response to my “come in,” I opened the door to find a deliveryman standing there with a couple big boxes of supplies for me! No mask. No social distancing.

I do not feel safe at work. 

Honored Contributor

I work in northern VA, 10 minutes outside DC, so our Phase 1 today is the first of some small steps back.  But my office has no intent to bring employees back into the office "any time soon."  

I was already teleworking three out of the five days in the week, for years, before all this.  I loved it then, and I love the 100% telework now.  We Skype, teleconference and Instant Message all day anyway, so no major adjustments.

I actually dread going back into the office, even for two days a week again.  The building has 26 crowded floors of people.  Even with a face mask, I am not comfortable with the routine of riding up to my floor with a crowd of fellow employees, some of which I'm sure will not be wearing a face mask.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've heard this work at home thing has worked so well for many companies, that they're making it permanent.  I'd really miss the daily interaction with co-workers.  I enjoyed them so much before I retired.

What @Kachina624 said about working from home is true.  It has worked out quite well for my group of co-workers that my company has no intentions of us returning anytime soon.  In fact, the word is that we may be working from home until a vaccine is created.  Although I miss my co-worker friends, I feel better staying at home until all this is over. 
Working from home has been easier for me than I thought.  I feel fortunate.

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve never stopped working but for the many at work that do, for now they were told 1st working day of July