Honored Contributor

Re: For those who have Bank of America accounts - just sharing (new scam)

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:
Funny how people assume it's the fault of the "letterhead"! It could've been anyone...Capital One, Home Depot, Southwest Airlines...any large company w/ their own credit lines. I was a BOA executive customer service rep many years before I retired.....heard this story many, many times.

Again, as I stated upthread....please don't use your debit card as a direct line to purchase. Please be wise & obtain a credit card. If fraud is detected, your checking acct will not be depleted.

=======

Sidsmom:  I don't want to be rude to you although for those of us who know what "letterhead" from these businesses should look like I would say "yup" its looks pretty official right down to the logo, etc. I guess now we have to be detectives on every notification we get from BOA or whatever large corporation!

As of this very minute, I just received 3 emails from BOA telling me about phone or online purchase I made earlier this morning.  Yes, I bought 3 roundtrip airline tickets -- so there's the point I'm making.  How does the "average" person know fake or real!

For the record, I had  been making several large purchases at Kids R Us (furniture) -- 1st - 2 transactions ($300/each) went through the last did not.   Within "minutes" I received a text from BOA stating someone was trying to use my card and that it had been locked to call this #.  I called the # to confirm the transaction and it was done and over with. (I had set up a notification text when any transaction over $350 was being used with my debit card - which is still in place). 

I've been a BOA customer for a very long time and its "attitudes like yours as customer service reps OR anyone in this bank" for that matter which prompts me to finally leave this bank.   Obviously, its the normal verbage for CS reps with BOA 'oh well'  as you said "I heard it all the time!" 

As of this minute I'm still patiently waiting for my "overnight" cards and the Manager of the branch did inform us -- any transactions that are not ours will be REFUNDED back to our account.  Fortunately, this did not happen.

Honored Contributor

It's clear you wanted a specific reaction...and it's not being met. What exactly would you like for the bank to do?
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sidsmom:

hmmmmmmm now that's a good question EXACTLY what they did NOTHING! I want no special treatment yet I expect a little concern when this happens.

Respected Contributor

I got the same message on my cellphone but knew it was a scam cuz I have no association with them; they are not my bank!  When I got this message I did google this and saw others had the same problem and that it was a scam.