Esteemed Contributor

Re: For those who have Bank of America accounts - just sharing (new scam)

@Q4u wrote:

Yes and it isn't just BOA... NO MATTER WHAT THE EMAIL MESSAGE SAYS... NEVER, EVER CLICK ON A LINK in one of your email messages, whether it comes into your PC email or into your Smart Phone.  They will infect your computer/Smart Phone with malware, keystroke loggers or just plain infect your computer with a virus. 

These scams are everywhere.  No legitimate company will send you something like that with a link and tell you to click it.....

If you are truly upset, CALL the company's customer service and talk to them about the email.

Another source to check out is SNOPES.com

You're correct, fake emails and texts are all over the place.  I never click on any link in them- I'll jsut go to the source and see if the nature of the email is 'real'. It rarely (if ever) r has been though!

I find it odd that they wouldn't issue you a new card- I'd go to my local branch and request one in person. They've never said 'no' to me!!  BOA has been a terrifc bank for me over the years.  

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

Yes and it isn't just BOA... NO MATTER WHAT THE EMAIL MESSAGE SAYS... NEVER, EVER CLICK ON A LINK in one of your email messages, whether it comes into your PC email or into your Smart Phone.  They will infect your computer/Smart Phone with malware, keystroke loggers or just plain infect your computer with a virus. 

These scams are everywhere.  No legitimate company will send you something like that with a link and tell you to click it.....

If you are truly upset, CALL the company's customer service and talk to them about the email.

You're correct, fake emails and texts are all over the place.  I never click on any link in them- I'll jsut go to the source and see if the nature of the email is 'real'. It rarely (if ever) r has been though!

I find it odd that they wouldn't issue you a new card- I'd go to my local branch and request one in person. They've never said 'no' to me!!  BOA has been a terrifc bank for me over the years.  

It may be "odd" to you but I spoke to the branch manager and the 800 # -- both said it was "not stolen or lost" at this point. If something should be charged or withdrawn then I can get a new card.  I'm leaving on a 3 week vacation and BOA does not issue cards from the branch they are mailed to you in 5-7 days. Then again, every branch has different management (ours is down to 1 teller, no drive thru and 1platform manager per day).

Esteemed Contributor

There must be someone you can speak to from BOA; I had a similar experience prior to vacation and they over nighted a new card. You should speak to the fraud unit supervisor.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both my husband and I have recently received weird emails that I immediately suspected were a scam.  His came to him at his federal govt. email address, which he uses on a networked govt. computer located  in our home, and he  has only been assigned that email address for about a month or two.

That email purported  to come from Chase Bank (where we actually do have an account) and the other one, allegedly from Verizon, wanted me to "confirm my email address".

I easily saw these as scams because, without opening the message, I just ran my mouse over the sender's info to reveal the URL, and saw that these official-sounding messages were sent via........(are you ready for this?).........gmail accounts!!!

Yeah, right, Chase Bank and Verizon would communicate with their clients via a free gmail address when hell freezes over.

We called Chase's fraud dept. and they just said the email was a fishing expedition and not to click on anything.  I forwarded the Verizon message to their fraud dept. and very quickly found that the message still sitting in my inbox unopened was marked in big red letters as SPAM!!  Nice to know they react quickly when you bring something to their attention.

Esteemed Contributor

I just got an email from HUNTINGTON Bank saying the EXACT same thing about my credit/debit card.

I was pretty sure that it was a 'spoof' email when I saw "DEAR VALUED CUSTOMER". I bank with Huntington online and any emails that they send me are addressed TO ME. 

I went to my account online (NOT using their link) and there were no alerts on my account. Back when there was the data breach at Home Depot...they sent me an alert that my card was involved and they were issusing me a new one.

Last year I remember this type of thing was going around with different banks. I got emails and texts from banks that I don't even deal with...Talmer was one...they all were sent to "Valued customer"....so I am sure alot of people will be seeing these spoofs in their email.........

It is unsettling when the one they are lucky and send you one that happens to be a bank you use.....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

It may be "odd" to you but I spoke to the branch manager and the 800 # -- both said it was "not stolen or lost" at this point. If something should be charged or withdrawn then I can get a new card.  I'm leaving on a 3 week vacation and BOA does not issue cards from the branch they are mailed to you in 5-7 days. Then again, every branch has different management (ours is down to 1 teller, no drive thru and 1platform manager per day).

I had a problem back in 2007 when my child support paymentts were delayed- I wrote the corporate offices in NC. Here's the address if you want to pursue your concerns further: 

Kenneth D. Lewis,                                                                                     

Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President

Bank of America Corporation
100 North Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28255

I'm not sure he's the person in  charge still- his staff contacted me though and we had a lengthy conference call to remedy my problem.  

Honored Contributor

UPDATE:

Thank you posters who told me to call a Supervisor in the Fraud Unit. When my husband got home from golf I showed him the letter -- he marched down to our branch and insisted they take care of our cards IMMEDIATELY!   

We are getting new card OVERNIGHT before our trip Friday. 

So we come home after this fiasco and our house is 88 degrees but when we left it was 74 -- more good news our a/c unit went!  Good Luck getting a tech in FL after 5! ugh its a black cloud kinda day!

thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.  I'm just leary more now than ever!

Esteemed Contributor

I have received these emails and I don't have a BOA account.  They apparently just send thousands and I can see why someone who has an account would question it. 

I solved this by creating an email account that I use just for banking and shopping where they have my credit card number on file.  Never had a problem. 

When I get such an email at the regular email address I know it is a scam because the bank does not have that email name.  If I got one at my business email, I probably would worry also.

Honored Contributor

These idiots just send out massive amounts of emails, and hope to sucker in even 1 %  of the recipients.

I get these notices all the time regarding my Chase and Wells Fargo banks, and I have no accounts with either bank!

It's both very annoying .... and disturbing.

Honored Contributor

Funny how people assume it's the fault of the "letterhead"! It could've been anyone...Capital One, Home Depot, Southwest Airlines...any large company w/ their own credit lines. I was a BOA executive customer service rep many years before I retired.....heard this story many, many times.

Again, as I stated upthread....please don't use your debit card as a direct line to purchase. Please be wise & obtain a credit card. If fraud is detected, your checking acct will not be depleted.