Honored Contributor

For those who have Bank of America accounts - just sharing (new scam)

Today I was in BOA doing some transactions for a upcoming trip.  About 15 minutes after I LEFT the bank I got a text message and a email. I have my phone set up with notifications for "new" messages.

IMG_4337.PNG

So I read the email and it makes sense, we are in the middle of doing alot of small transactions during some home improvements in our home and have been using our DEBIT card in different places.  I then go to the CLICK TO LOGIN AREA:

I notice that "BOA doesn't come up in the search bar but this search, hmmmm...

IMG_4338.PNG

I immediately head back to the bank I was only a 10 minutes away -- I swear this rep says "Oh you should just ignore this its happening alot ".  REALLY, I was so annoyed!!  I told her she should contact the fraud department or something, she said "Here's the # you can call and give them the info but I know its not from BOA".  Needless to say, I'm totally upset with such an attitude and reported this and her to BOA supervisor.  The fraud rep told me other customers have called reporting the same letter and I should forward the email to the fraud dept. 

When I got home,  I had a message "This is BOA calling in reference to your debit card activity, although, there may be no suspicious activity at this time call this # to confirm your account transactions.  When calling have your account # readily available. OMG, I'm freaking out - now I know its a SCAM! (BUT I called the # and it just rang and rang).  I call BOA fraud department again, this time they tell me to NOT to call the # back! DUH! Of course, I told them to stop my debit card and reissue me a new card, the rep said they can't unless its stolen/lost and just to keep an eye on my account. WHAT???

Just wanted to share to give anyone a heads up -- honestly I thought it was a scam but as I said we have been using our debit card so much I thought it might be true AND its obvious whoever is scamming has our private information. Oh the thought of it you can be sure I'm checking my accounts every hour.

Honored Contributor

Re: For those who have Bank of America accounts - just sharing (new scam)

Glad you didn't try to use the logon, thereby giving the scammer your login info.    I wonder how many people will not realize that this is a scam.  But I REALLY wonder if it was coincidental that something came through right after you were in the bank.  yikes!

Honored Contributor

I would never use my debit card for purchases. Everything goes on a credit card I pay in full EOM. Debit card should be used for ATM cash only. Too easy for fraud to have that direct link to my bank account.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Call back tomorrow and tell them you've "lost" you card or put it through the dryer and it doesn't work anymore and get a new card ASAP.

NEVER, EVER click on a link in an email to get to your bank account. If you get an email about trouble with your account, call the number on the back of your card and talk to the bank. If the email was a phishing scam, they may have you forward it to them. I always report phishing emails to my bank and my email provider.

Bank of America calls me directly if there's any strange activity on my cards. I have text banking enabled and they text me if there's anything weird and then I can confirm that it was or was not me who made the transaction. They do not email me if there's trouble with my account.

Honored Contributor

Bank of America is not very helpful.  I got a call several months ago from Western Union asking if I was trying to wire money to India using my B of A credit card.  When I told him no he said I should call my bank.  I called several times and was transferred to the Fraud Department who never answered.  The last time I called the person answering the phone told me to just forget about because I am not liable.  I somehow do not think that is the proper attitude.  I guess Western Union solved it because nothing ever happened. 

Trusted Contributor

I closed all related BOA accounts that my family or I had.  Just felt they were unresponsive to customer needs and not very user friendly.  So, this only validates my decision.  Thanks and good job not responding.  These places use fear to motivate others. You were not a victim.

Esteemed Contributor

This stuff drives me crazy. We traveled up to NY and back so we purchased gas in several states - when we got home there were a couple of messages from B of A asking if those were valid purchases. One other time I received an email from PayPal saying I had a problem so I called PayPal and there was no problem. They make this stuff look so "real" - I have requested new cards before and received them with no problem
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the first time I've had this happen but my boys have both had this happen within the last 6 months (meaning actually taking any money or making charges on my card) but I have had my card re-issued by them with no explanation and yes, BOA is not very concerned like me!

I now know it's time to definitely change I've been wanting to but my husband likes the convenience....maybe not after today. And yes we are going to use our charge from now on!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Quite frankly, BOA has been quite helpful to me. I have received these fraud emails and you can see a slight difference in the legitimate website. Even if I know it is legitimate like my bill, I never use the link, I google the website so I know I am really on BOA. Hackers have all your information so change all your logon; they were trying to get your password. A few times BOA found suspicious activity and automatically closed my account and sent a new card. I really never had a problem with them.
Honored Contributor

Yes and it isn't just BOA... NO MATTER WHAT THE EMAIL MESSAGE SAYS... NEVER, EVER CLICK ON A LINK in one of your email messages, whether it comes into your PC email or into your Smart Phone.  They will infect your computer/Smart Phone with malware, keystroke loggers or just plain infect your computer with a virus. 

These scams are everywhere.  No legitimate company will send you something like that with a link and tell you to click it.....

If you are truly upset, CALL the company's customer service and talk to them about the email.

Another source to check out is SNOPES.com

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*