Respected Contributor

Re: For those who are retired.

[ Edited ]

Sounds like you and your husband are not ready for retirement. You would not enjoy it, so keep working.  My husband has been retired for almost 2 years now, for me it has been over 6 years. We would have loved it if he could have retired even earlier (He retired at 62). We enjoy each other's company.  We make up our days with morning walks on the beach or go walk the trails up the mountain. Visiting our kids near Boston.  We enjoy visiting new breweries and trying new beers.  We have remodeled an upstairs bathroom and am now starting on the downstairs one. We veggie and flower garden.  Go for rides on our Harley. Read, play backgammon and card games. Sit outside at night watch the stars and make a fire in the pit while enjoying a glass of wine or beer. We both like to bake so when we see a new to us recipe we both help out making it.  We also volunteer on projects/committees in our town.  I do lots of canning, my husband has tried it out. First time making salsa for him. Turned out pretty good!  We traveled a lot before the virus. We will start again when it is safe to do so.  So, for us, retirement has given us the opportunity to do whatever we want, whenever we want.  Our days can be as busy or slow as we like.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Take walks, swim at the Y, get involved at your senior center. They offer tons of things to do. There is absolutely no reason to be bored in retirement. It is a choice. Join a book club at the library, there are so many things to do.

Why anyone would want to work beyond 62 when there is so much do see and do in life while still active and healthy is something I will never understand.

Valued Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

my husband and i are both retired....i stay in the family room.....he stays in the garage...so far it works very well!! lol.....

lol!!!! Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I dreaded retirement more than anything but you have to adjust.  My husband and I don't watch the same TV shows, don't like the same jigsaw puzzles, don't walk at the same time or speed.   He sleeps late and I get up early.  He eats slow and I eat fast.  We are about as different as two people can be.  We have set up our house so we both can be comfortable and separate.  When we could go out and eat and walk around places, we did that.  I did work part time for years to have something to do.   As long as you can stay active and find work I think you are better to do that.  Most hobbies are more fun when you don't have time to do them.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

When you are used to being very active, I guess it is hard to get used to a lot of down time.  I know when I first retired, for the first year I felt like someone just dumped me on a new planet!  I had worked my whole life --- 50 years --- and never stopped!  Some years I had like 4 and 5 jobs!  I didn't know anything but work!  

So, when I retired, it was like somebody hit a switch --- boom!  Going from 90 miles an hour to zero!  Very difficult for me to acclimate!  I truly felt like I was walking on the moon!  After the first year, I finally relaxed and it's like I never worked!  Not to say that I don't miss some things about working.  But, it's a relief and a blessing to finally have this time.  I earned it and I am enjoying it! 

Maybe take some classes on line.  Play some board games.  Learn a new language.  Do some puzzles.  Take long walks.  Read books that you have been meaning to and never found the time.  Do some crafts.  Connect with friends on the phone or on-line that maybe you haven't had much time for. 

I get restless once in a while but for the most part, I consider myself blessed to have this time.  Try to relax -- you're just not used to the slower pace.  Every minute doesn't have to be filled --- just let it flow! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'm retired and spend a lot of my time working in the yard.  I have a huge  back yard and some gigantic trees so there is always something to do.

This summer...

• read 11 books
  • 62 hours spent cleaning up after the derecho storm hit
  • dug up a brick sidewalk, added dirt to raise it, and re-laid it. The derecho storm messed it up so my project this week is to do it again.
  • mowed 
  • raked
  • built a bricked-in area and planted flowers/plants
  • painted the garage
  • added a ton of dirt around garage
  • put mulch around the house
  • walk my dog daily through the streets of a nearby cemetery
  • tried some new recipes
  • sat on the deck and enjoyed the sights and birds
  • take care of my elderly dad and disabled sister

and more

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Take walks, swim at the Y, get involved at your senior center. They offer tons of things to do. There is absolutely no reason to be bored in retirement. It is a choice. Join a book club at the library, there are so many things to do.

Why anyone would want to work beyond 62 when there is so much do see and do in life while still active and healthy is something I will never understand.

@RetRN I wish I could have retired at 62 but since Social Security doesn't kick in until I'm 66, I have to work another two years. I have never enjoyed working and am a real homebody at heart so I CAN'T WAIT to retire!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

Yes, of course RetRN, but you need $$ to enjoy. Senior centers aren't for  everyone, the library is ok once in  while. Today, with having to maintain 6 feet, mask, etc., even harder. Many are closed.

Some people need & thrive on having structure in their daily life & enjoy working. Especially today. It can be very isolating to be retired.

$$$$ is very much needed by most. Young & old. If you have some $ to spend it can take you outside of yourself and make life much more pleasant. 

Respected Contributor

My husband retired at 59. I was still working. He started making suppers which was great. When summer came he picked up the grandchildren and went to the ocean. His job was physical and was beginning to take its toll. When Fall came he worked part time for a man who flipped houses. Oh no TMI

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Both DH and I are retired. Fortunately we are both homebody's and do not need to be entertained. We just do our own things....watch a lot of TV....internet....just enjoy not feeling like we need to be going or doing.  We did THAT when we were working.  Retirement is not having to have anything to do....that is OK. 

@SeaMaiden  I defintely relate to your lifestyle.  My husband is not in the best health. He is a Vietnam Vet with issues from that, and a retired RR man. 40 years on the RR and you are going to have knee, feet, back, neck issues.   

We do what we can around our house and yard.  I had most of our shrubbery taken out as it gets too hot for him to try and maintain them.  It took both of us to clean our pool and it is taking both of us to maintain it on a daily basis.  

We enjoy being at home.  We do what we need to do in the mornings, take an afternoon nap, and watch TV while we prepare supper and clean up afterwards.  We enjoy being inside where it is cool and we are comfortable.  I'm in the process of trying to clean our drawers and closets and some of those, my husband has to chip in and help. We stay busy, but not stressed. Covid really hasn't affected our lifestyle that much.

We have always worked and worked hard.  It's time we just enjoy ourselves in our own way.