Esteemed Contributor

Re: For those who are retired.

Honestly, since we retired, we don't know when we ever found the time to work full time!  All those years I worked, I always had hobbies and interests.  So after retirement, I had more time for my stuff.  I've never been bored.  Ever.  Neither has my husband. 

But, we have friends who don't want to retire because they don't know how they'd spend their days.  I feel sorry for them.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I retired about 4 years ago I was 61ish and my job was eliminated and decided it was time to retire, I had a great job and worked at home I did not really feel like traveling 45 minues to an hour for a job. I liked being home alone.

In March DH started working at home due to Covid and retired as planned on April 30, 2020. We had been very proactive and all parts of his retirement were in place.

Right now we try to get to an outdoor lunch a few times a week, Summer was difficult it was a little too warm most days to spend outside. We got to an outdoor dinner a several of times a week.

He walks 3-5 miles or bikes 15 miles several times 

The Senior Centers are not open and I am not sure I am interested in mingling with 80 somethings, the Winter might be tough.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I was fortunate to be able to retire very early - in my late 40's. I'm busier now than when I was working, and that takes quite some doing as I traveled extensively. The plus side is that I'm doing exactly the things that I want to do, not things that I'm merely required to do as part of the job. It's wonderful! 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

This year my husband and I spent December to June at our condo in Los Cabos. Like everyone else we were quarantined for 3 months occasionally going as far as the roof top deck. I guess we were lucky that we were happy just sitting on our balcony for the majority of the time and not being bored. 

Respected Contributor

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Learn a new language! It's good for you and good for your brain. You can engage in this learning on your own, with classes, alone or with others! ENJOY!

-Solar1Smiley Happy

True! in a lot of this country, it's a real advantage to know Spanish. I'm learning it little by little.

Respected Contributor

haven't read all replies but we r retired pay off the house also soc sec it nice but not enough to pay for all utilities or food. hope you have some savings. 

Respected Contributor

Oh DH worked 18yr for company they decided to erase his job need 2 more yrs for pension yes there was a pension, VP he was oh no erase him needed that 2yrs so took 2 pay scales down he did retire & got his pension but sad he was low on pay scale said ok he did that job took a lost on his pay but we got pension. no more pensions now but we got it also my daughter works for them she knows.

Valued Contributor

I've been retired for 6 years.  I'm single,  love being home.  I  read a lot,  knit, crochet,  do FB jigsaw puzzles.    I never feel alone - have a dog which i walk three times a day.   I guess it depends on your lifestyle.   Even when I worked, my hobbies were always a big part of my life.

Respected Contributor

retirement is what you make it, some want to be so active others don't ok whatever. My one friend has a shore house she is so busy cleaning having guests fine not my style but good for her.we choose what we want; 

Respected Contributor

@sissel wrote:

retirement is what you make it, some want to be so active others don't ok whatever. My one friend has a shore house she is so busy cleaning having guests fine not my style but good for her.we choose what we want; 

That's not always true. Life has a way of throwing you curve balls and you have to make adjustments.