Honored Contributor

Re: For those who are retired.

I never have understood people being bored.  Why on earth would you be bored?

There is food to make, recipes to find, clothes to wash and put away, floors to sweep, beds to make, showers to take and hair to wash, porches to sweep, yards to walk around, lawn furniture to sit out on, birds to watch.

Books to read, topics to research, music to listen to, electronics to plug in, household and grooming things to order and unbox and put away, groceries to shop for and wash and put away, cars to gas up, banks to go to, things to mail, bills to keep up with, books to read, books to read, books to look for, books to listen to, and prayers to be said.

When do y'all have time to be bored?  That's what I can't figure out. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Read, watch movies, do jigsaw puzzles, play games, take a drive, volunteer. I can't imagine not cooking (you can do this together), cleaning, laundry, yard work. Plant a vegetable or flower garden. Waiting to retire because you say you will be bored is ridiculous. Retire as soon as possible, you never know what tomorrow will bring. I knew several people who said they wanted to work until they were 70, well they never saw retirement. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner Thanks for pointing that out............the days fly by and I write myself notes before going to bed............because I didn't get all done that I wanted or needed to do.

Do some volunteer work if you're life is that dull.     Sick and hungry people everywhere.

Look outside of one's self.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I never have understood people being bored.  Why on earth would you be bored?

There is food to make, recipes to find, clothes to wash and put away, floors to sweep, beds to make, showers to take and hair to wash, porches to sweep, yards to walk around, lawn furniture to sit out on, birds to watch.

Books to read, topics to research, music to listen to, electronics to plug in, household and grooming things to order and unbox and put away, groceries to shop for and wash and put away, cars to gas up, banks to go to, things to mail, bills to keep up with, books to read, books to read, books to look for, books to listen to, and prayers to be said.

When do y'all have time to be bored?  That's what I can't figure out. 

@Sooner 

Thanks for pointing this out!  It's funny, really.  

I retired in January of this year as did my spouse.  The first two months I met with friends for dinner, breakfast, went on a 'up north' winter 3 day vacation, and we met our friends for dinner.  

Then the virus hit.  It's been much harder on me than my husband.  I am a 'people' person.  I like my friends and my former coworkers (I was a bank manager and have lots of young people that I managed that I still keep in touch with).  My husband said "maybe you should go back to work."  Nope, not doing that.  I would volunteer in fact I gave blood 3x this year (after not donating for years due to 50 hour work weeks/exhausted/dealing with elderly parents, etc.)  I used to volunteer at a nursing home doing nails (this was done during work hours as part of community service) and I loved those ladies.  I also volunteered at schools reading to 2nd graders and helping them learn to read.  

My husband can putter all day.  He's extremely handy and can spend a lot of time in the garage.  Am I happy to no longer be working 50 hours a week?  Absolutely.  Do I wish I could do something with myself?  Yes I do but I don't want to wear a mask doing it.  

We did buy a truck camper and have camped several times this summer - it is great to be outside.  Now fall is coming and I'm sitting here thinking - now what?  I love the sun and live in the north.  Husband doesn't want to move south (yet).  My dog died in July but yet I don't want to get a new one because we want the freedom to go when we want.  

I do like to read and have cooked many new foods.  I also walk every day at least 1.5 miles.  I like naps, too.  I guess it's just hard right now not seeing anyone other than my spouse.  

I have plenty of housework to do (who wants to do THAT?)  i'll be 65 next month and am in good health.  I would like to go horseback riding but no one my age is in good shape enough to go so I might find a way to go by myself.  

I don't have grandkids and my son lives out of state - will be getting married hopefully next year (virus postposed it for this year).

It's just odd not 'having' to do something when for 46 years I was up at 6 and wasn't home until 6:30 pm every night (plus I worked Saturdays often).  

I am praying for things to change so I can go out and be of service to SOMEONE again!  

PS I miss my mom a lot.  I spent tons of time with her when I was not at work and underestimated what that would look like when she passed away.  I'm fine but there's a hole in my heart missing her.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My SO and I both retired early at the same time and can't figure out how we got everything done when  we worked because now we are more relaxed and do way less than when we worked.  I never seem to have enough time to get things done. I could not be bored even doing nothing - but then again I am a homebody.  

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

My SO and I both retired early at the same time and can't figure out how we got everything done when  we worked because now we are more relaxed and do way less than when we worked.  I know I could not be bored even doing nothing.  

@Pook Exactly!  We often say how did we do all that?  When did we sleep, or did we? I don't remember!

I am the happiest person on earth to be home with him and not running somewhere or doing something we have to do.  

Super Contributor

DH & I are retired and introverted homebodies.  He keeps busy fixing things around here.  I'm online or puttering around.  Fact is, neither one of us knows what to do with ourselves and fight the urge to watch tv all of the time.

momtodogs: you can show dogs!  Or walk dogs! or board dogs!  Lots of dog people do things with other dog people and it can be lots of fun for you

sooner: your post was listing all the chores that take up a day.  I'm interested in past that list, as I'm doing everything you said every day.  I don't want my life to be about just those things, although they do take up lots of time

Esteemed Contributor

I understand how you feel.  Prior to retirement I had hoped to work until at least 70 and longer.  I liked my job and being busy.  The Universe had other plans, so I retired early.  The first year was tough but things eventually fell into place.   

I was prompted to do photography, something I was never interested in.  I listened to the nudges and in the process found my passion.  It transformed my life.  You never know what you might find out there.  Listen for that inspiration. 

My husband spent his time doing volunteer work.  We saw each other about the same amount as when we were both working.  I was off in the woods doing photography while he was off helping someone.   We each had our passions.  I believe we were each guided in what we did.

We’re in the next phase of life where I’ve become my husband’s caretaker.  Life is always changing. 

I wish you much luck and happiness. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

You are experiencing a transition -- in the middle of a whole world in the middle of multiple transitions -- and you didn't ask for any of it. No wonder you don't quite know what to do with yourselves. 

Be easy on yourself. Transitions take time. You're learning a new pattern of living, a new way to handle time, a whole different potential set of options. You won't master all this at once. Like all major changes, it happens one little step at a time. And there is no yardstick to measure whether you are doing it fast enough or well enough, so be patient and enjoy the unfolding!

Esteemed Contributor

It seems to me that there are two types of people when they retire: those who need to be busy all the time, and those who are content to "putter". I'm in the "putter" category and am quite content to be a homebody....I'm not a neat freak who spends hours each day cleaning or cooking. I read, spend time on my patio, take care of errands since DH is disabled, communicate with grandsons, cook a few decent meals each week, take a walk....whatever I feel like doing. I feel no need to find things to do....I'm retired and I'm enjoying having the time to "putter"!