Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,654
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: For those of you who have to change your clocks.

I've always been on the team of 'just pick one and leave it there', but I will be surprised if anything changes.

 

I'm not taken down by it, although it's a bit of a hassle, but it's just that it is so stupid and massively outdated in its intent.

 

Pick one and stop the stupid.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 24,965
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: For those of you who have to change your clocks.


@Meowingkitty wrote:

A group of US senators from both parties have submitted a bill to make daylight saving time permanent throughout most of the US.

Currently, daylight saving time is observed from March through November in most of the US, except for most of Arizona and Hawaii. Under the proposal, Arizona would be in the Pacific time zone all year, and Hawaii would be six hours behind the eastern time zone. The bill would also eliminate the need to change clocks twice a year.


 

@Meowingkitty   YAY to those senators! Not only does it take me forever to change clocks and watches, but my head's turned around for days!!!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 24,965
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: For those of you who have to change your clocks.


@Icegoddess wrote:

People really like having that extra daylight in the afternoons, but come Fall it can be a problem in the morning with kids and the school buses with it still being dark.  


 

@Icegoddess   Whether it was light or dark, in our neighborhoods, a parent took turns each morning waiting with the younger kids at each block for the school buses. Just safety, not a question of darkness.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 24,965
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: For those of you who have to change your clocks.


@Foxxee wrote:

I know others want DST, but I'm hoping for Standard Time.  

 

The reason for me:

 

The chronic effects may last throughout
the months of DST because in many people, social clocks and body clocks remain set to different times; the body clock does not adjust to DST social clock time even over months.

 

That is me.  Although, it's only one hour, I could not adjust to the new time regardless of how much I tried in the past.  Standard Time feels like home to me.

 

For a study done by:  (See link at the end.) 

 

Institute for Medical Psychology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany, Centre for Chronobiology, Psychiatric Clinics, University of Basel, Switzerland, Chronobiology, Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, UK, Department of Psychiatry and Center for Circadian Biology, University of California,  Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado at Boulder, Surrey Sleep Research Centre, School of Biosciences and Medicine, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, UK, Department of Neurology, Northwestern University, Department of Psychology and the Center for Circadian Biology, University of California, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Harvard University

 

Why Should We Abolish Daylight Saving Time? (cet.org)

 

From another study done by UCLA

 

This lack of morning light can have serious impact on our biological clocks, which control the body’s many daily rhythms including our sleep and wakefulness cycle. Humans require adequate morning light so that our internal biological rhythms synchronize properly to the local time.

 

There’s a wealth of data demonstrating that a lack of exposure to light leads to sleep and metabolic disorders, depression and cardiovascular disease, among other ailments.

 

NoToPermanentDSTpackage.pdf (srbr.org)


@Foxxee  Thank you for your research and justified opinions. My daughter moved to WA from east coast...dark and dreary, rainy, cold a lot of the time. It started to affect her although she never had a previous issue. Her doc suggested a "light box" which she uses daily and her clock lights up when the alarm goes off signaling daylight and she immediately turns on lights in the house by a timer.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,837
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: For those of you who have to change your clocks.

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I drove to my daughters very early and there was a parent in a stroller and then another little one standing on his own, cars pulled of to the side of the island, waiting for the bus. It was still very dark.The sun was not up yet. I felt so sorry for them and yes because of safety mostly. This is a tiny street with barely room for 2 cars. I wanted to tell my daughter, when Mr. adorable gets school age, I will drive him to school if you can't.

Though I know some parents don't have a choice or maybe not even have a car.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,001
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: For those of you who have to change your clocks.


@Shanus wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

People really like having that extra daylight in the afternoons, but come Fall it can be a problem in the morning with kids and the school buses with it still being dark.  


 

@Icegoddess   Whether it was light or dark, in our neighborhoods, a parent took turns each morning waiting with the younger kids at each block for the school buses. Just safety, not a question of darkness.


@Shanus I see parents out waiting with their kids too, although I have no idea about other areas where there have been incidents.  It's not always the younger ones that get hit, and it happens in the afternoon too so not anything to do with darkness.  Just saying that being dark makes it more likely.  There's also probably a difference in subdivisions and more rural areas.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 24,965
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: For those of you who have to change your clocks.


@Icegoddess wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

People really like having that extra daylight in the afternoons, but come Fall it can be a problem in the morning with kids and the school buses with it still being dark.  


 

@Icegoddess   Whether it was light or dark, in our neighborhoods, a parent took turns each morning waiting with the younger kids at each block for the school buses. Just safety, not a question of darkness.


@Shanus I see parents out waiting with their kids too, although I have no idea about other areas where there have been incidents.  It's not always the younger ones that get hit, and it happens in the afternoon too so not anything to do with darkness.  Just saying that being dark makes it more likely.  There's also probably a difference in subdivisions and more rural areas.  


@Icegoddess   It's not just the awful chance of getting run over, the parents are there to protect against kidnapping and other abuse issues.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,665
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: For those of you who have to change your clocks.


@NickNack wrote:

I would love this.  It seems like they discuss this each year, and it never happens.


i agree with @NickNack !   every single year they talk about this.  and nothing happens.  what the heck. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 48,560
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: For those of you who have to change your clocks.

 


@Shanus wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

A group of US senators from both parties have submitted a bill to make daylight saving time permanent throughout most of the US.

Currently, daylight saving time is observed from March through November in most of the US, except for most of Arizona and Hawaii. Under the proposal, Arizona would be in the Pacific time zone all year, and Hawaii would be six hours behind the eastern time zone. The bill would also eliminate the need to change clocks twice a year.


 

@Meowingkitty   YAY to those senators! Not only does it take me forever to change clocks and watches, but my head's turned around for days!!!


@Shanus    Did you read my post #11? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor
Posts: 257
Registered: ‎07-02-2010

Re: For those of you who have to change your clocks.

@Kachina624  I just googled and found there is a new bill called the "Sunshine Protection Act of 2021" that has been entered by Mario Rubio and others.  Let's hope they vote on it this time.