Respected Contributor

Re: For Those Of You With Fear, Types Of Pitt Bulls

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

I grew up with Pitt bulls and German Shepards with never being attacked or bitten

I have been attacked and bitten by two different beagels, a minature Shanauzer and a poodle.

So I am not on the trash the Pitt Bull train. I think these are individual cases and not all dogs are the same

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

I grew up with Pitt bulls and German Shepards with never being attacked or bitten

I have been attacked and bitten by two different beagels, a minature Shanauzer and a poodle.

So I am not on the trash the Pitt Bull train. I think these are individual cases and not all dogs are the same

Good for you...  There have been many cases of pit bulls mauling/ killing children/ adults.

Wow thanks because I had no clue at all.

Respected Contributor

Please be very careful when adopting dogs. Many shelter dogs are part pit bull. It is just not worth the risk to an adult owner or home with children. 

For all the stories of sweet pit bulls there are equal numbers of truly tragic attacks. 

Honored Contributor

Today's pit bull is a descendant of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. When baiting large animals was outlawed in the 1800s, people turned instead to fighting their dogs against each other.

Honored Contributor

In recent years, we have learned for sure that personality traits can be inherited.  Shyness is one.

The same is true for other animals, that's obvious with dogs.  Over centuries, dogs have been bred as ratters, hunting dogs, dogs to fetch birds shot down, dogs to watch and shepherd sheep and other animals.

OF COURSE they can be bred for aggression and fighting, there is no question there, look at the position statement from the ASPA.

Sure, an owner can make it worse, but there are a lot of pit bulls out there bred to attack, and it can have nothing to do with the owner or the mom that petted another dog.

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Please be very careful when adopting dogs. Many shelter dogs are part pit bull. It is just not worth the risk to an adult owner or home with children. 

For all the stories of sweet pit bulls there are equal numbers of truly tragic attacks. 

Our county kennel is loaded with Pit Bulls and Pit mixes. Recently 2 had to be put down because they attacked kennel volunteers.  Who knows what kind of life they had?

For a long time, my city had such an issue with Pits, the kennel was not allowed to adopt out a Pit to anyone here.  That has since changed.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:
Today's pit bull is a descendant of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. When baiting large animals was outlawed in the 1800s, people turned instead to fighting their dogs against each other.

I really think they have been breed without the right people with the knowledge of the temperment of the dogs. When i have bought my goldens,with the exception of my first,i have found breeders that do clearences on the dogs, that have the knowledge and experience.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I really think they have been breed without the right people with the knowledge of the temperment of the dogs. When i have bought my goldens,with the exception of my first,i have found breeders that do clearences on the dogs, that have the knowledge and experience.

The thing to do is to neuter dogs with aggressive traits.  Only breed sweet non-aggressive dogs.   Sure, some people would continue getting fighting dogs, but breeders with good dispositions would do well.  That could be started in just a couple of generations.  I don't know how well it would work, but imo it's worth a try.

Honored Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

@pinkcrystal wrote:

In addition to the general awfulness of what happened, there was NO warning that the dog was going to attack.  One second it was sitting there and the next I had its teeth clamped on my hand.  

I will say though that I was able to open the jaw, but the ferocity of the attack was unreal.  

How long did she have the dog and did it show this behavior before?  What has happened to the dog?

@pinkcrystalI'm interested as well as sparklestar.  How long did she have the dog, what is the age, and where is it?

Super Contributor

The dog is about a year old and she still has her.  She is determined never to get rid of her.  

Honored Contributor

@pinkcrystal wrote:

The dog is about a year old and she still has her.  She is determined never to get rid of her.  

Does your daughter have children?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?