Honored Contributor

Re: For Those Of You With Fear, Types Of Pitt Bulls

I think other breeds of dogs, have been  mixed with pits, i spoke of the neighbor down the street that had two dogs that she called boxers, they were rescues, they had pit in them, sadly her male which was just so pretty got sick ,and they had to put asleep.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

There really aren't various types of Pit Bulls.  There are several breeds who are often mislabeled as a Pit Bull but there really isn't even any such breed as a Pit Bull. 

Different breeds are called Pit bulls when in fact they are other breeds.  We have owned boxers, full bred boxers and I cannot tell you the number of people who insist they are Pits.  My neighbor was terrified of our white boxer to the point if she and/or her kids were outside in the backyard (our yards are fenced) and we let our dog out, they would run screaming in the house.     

I had a boxer ,as a kid her name was cindy, she was great,but would kill chickens, she was so sweet,back then some people killed the white boxers, just horrible.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The dog breeds I've owned have been collies, mutts, beagles.(the beagle being the favorite)....and close friends have labs and goldens....those are the breeds I have dealt closely with..

From what I've read and heard from so called "experts" certain breeds definitely have certain characteristics....A neighbor has a young pit bull friendliest dog on the block.....the ones we neighbors fear around here are believe it or not are the "killer" Chihuahuas---they display aggressive behaviour bare their teeth and gums and go into "attack mode"....The owner basically lets the dogs do what they want which creates a dangerous situation. ..-another neighbor rescued me from being bit---  I know of a Lab that attacked and bit a child she didn't tease or torment the dog....her "crime" was walking on the sidewalk from school.....So I think any breed can be aggressive.....and some breeds require extra training (even on the Westminister Dog Show the announcers tells a little about the breed being presented and has mentioned it with a few breeds)...

Reading some of these HORRIFIC TERRIBLE cases regarding the pit bulls I noticed many of the owners allowed their dogs to roam uncontrolled unsupervised.....some had a history of attacking other animals (to me that's a sign right there that dog has a problem)_some were adopted from a rescue group so who knows their history---perhaps the dog was initially trained by someone to be a "watchdog" at a business etc....one stated the mother had aggressive tendencies and 2 of the pups they adopted were from that litter....And I sure wouldn't leave any young child less than a year real close around any dog.....I would keep these youngins away in a safe place and supervise even older kids....

And one time I heard my vet say, "dogs are predatory creatures by nature, afterall they are animals."

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People lump all pitbull types together. What are the exact charateristics are a pit bull?

Is it considered a pitbull if it's 1/2 a 1/4?

Some of the articles, more than one dog were attacking the vicitm.

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/american-pit-bull-terrier#/slide/1

Esteemed Contributor

@hovis  Did you really say "we'll see what happens"??????  I don't think you want to "see" anything like that, do you???

Honored Contributor

@pinkcrystal wrote:

I never thought I'd post about a pit bull, but last month I got bitten by my daughter's pit bull.  The dog bit me while I was petting her other dog (which is not a pit bull.) I literally had to pry the dogs jaw open to make it let go of my hand and when I did, the pit bull went after the other dog.  It was HORRIBLE.  Luckily the other dog only suffered a minor injury but what I witnessed has totally changed my opinion about the breed.  Up until then, I truly thought it was an owner problem, but I believe now it IS the breed.  

How did your dd handle this situation? Going to keep the dog? I hope she keeps this dog away from you, when you visit.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@pinkcrystal wrote:

I never thought I'd post about a pit bull, but last month I got bitten by my daughter's pit bull.  The dog bit me while I was petting her other dog (which is not a pit bull.) I literally had to pry the dogs jaw open to make it let go of my hand and when I did, the pit bull went after the other dog.  It was HORRIBLE.  Luckily the other dog only suffered a minor injury but what I witnessed has totally changed my opinion about the breed.  Up until then, I truly thought it was an owner problem, but I believe now it IS the breed.  

How did your dd handle this situation? Going to keep the dog? I hope she keeps this dog away from you, when you visit.

Let the bashing of me begin, but if it were MY dog, and it attacked like that, I'd put it to sleep.  If it were my daughter and she still had the dog, I'd never go to her house again. Period. Never. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@pinkcrystal wrote:

Let the bashing of me begin, but if it were MY dog, and it attacked like that, I'd put it to sleep.  If it were my daughter and she still had the dog, I'd never go to her house again. Period. Never. 

Luckily, none of my dogs growing up, or ones that I have had bit anyone. Any dog breed is capable of biting or attacking. They are animals.  Depending on the situation (say the dog was provoked or just attacked for no reason), this would determine how I would handle this. 

Respected Contributor

I grew up with Pitt bulls and German Shepards with never being attacked or bitten

I have been attacked and bitten by two different beagels, a minature Shanauzer and a poodle.

So I am not on the trash the Pitt Bull train. I think these are individual cases and not all dogs are the same

Super Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

I grew up with Pitt bulls and German Shepards with never being attacked or bitten

I have been attacked and bitten by two different beagels, a minature Shanauzer and a poodle.

So I am not on the trash the Pitt Bull train. I think these are individual cases and not all dogs are the same

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Good for you...  There have been many cases of pit bulls mauling/ killing children/ adults.