Honored Contributor

Foods and things that affect us differently as we age.

For me, it's caffeine.

I'm finding that I can't tolerate it at all.  I cut out all caffeinated teas and coffees about three years ago, then recently, a little at a time started adding some back into my daily routine.

Not a good idea for me.  I'm already an anxious person, so the anxiety it causes me is intolerable.... rapid heartbeat, etc.

I don't remember it being a problem in my younger years, but now that I'm 60, things seem to have changed.  Has anyone else noticed that things you could tolerate before are now bothering you?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Foods and things that affect us differently as we age.

Certain types of ice cream.  I used to be able to eat all kinds of ice cream.  But now, certain types cause major cramping.  I can drink milk and cheese and other dairy without a problem.

Honored Contributor

I can’t eat hot peppers or spices anymore..I used to love my food extremely spicy but now I get a very bad stomach from it.

Respected Contributor

@Travone wrote:

Certain types of ice cream.  I used to be able to eat all kinds of ice cream.  But now, certain types cause major cramping.  I can drink milk and cheese and other dairy without a problem.

me too @Travone !!  most any dairy is now giving me gas big time and some minor discomfort, but the ice cream all of a sudden causes MAJOR cramping (the kind so bad i have to go lay flat on a heating pad)!  i am curious, though ... what kind of ice cream can you eat that is ok with your digestive system?  i REALLY miss the ice cream, and if i could have a small dish every now and then, it would be the BEST TREAT Smiley Happy.  

Honored Contributor

@fancy pantsy @I think there are non dairy ice creams now that might work for you...maybe you could try the yoghurt ice creams.I make banana ice cream with frozen banana and some strawberries...just blend in my ninja and voila.You can add sweetener but we try to avoid sugar.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@fancy pantsy @I think there are non dairy ice creams now that might work for you...maybe you could try the yoghurt ice creams.I make banana ice cream with frozen banana and some strawberries...just blend in my ninja and voila.You can add sweetener but we try to avoid sugar.

i did try one of the non dairy IC ... think the name was halo or something like that.  it was pretty blah.  would rather do without.  maybe there is another kind that is more tasty? 

Respected Contributor

I can't do caffeine either.  It gives me a fast irregular heartbeat that can lead to SVT.

But I need my cup of decaf in the morning.  I can't do spicy food like before.  There's a lot of food that I look at now and just say nope.

Respected Contributor

Can't drink coffee, quit it probably 15 years ago due to reflux.  Now I can hardly tolerate caffeine at high levels, I get heart palps, sweat and feel I will die.  Deep fried foods upset my stomach.  I cannot drink milk it makes me very sick and it's not the lactose.  Grapefruit juice destroys my stomach.  

Valued Contributor

I find that eating gluten causes me to have bad gas and feel totally bloated. Gave up beef 30 years ago and if I eat any I have very bad indigestion.  Getting old means giving up things you like when you can afford to eat what you want.

Respected Contributor

me too @travone !!  most any dairy is now giving me gas big time and some minor discomfort, but the ice cream all of a sudden causes MAJOR cramping (the kind so bad i have to go lay flat on a heating pad)!  i am curious, though ... what kind of ice cream can you eat that is ok with your digestive system?  i REALLY miss the ice cream, and if i could have a small dish every now and then, it would be the BEST TREAT Smiley Happy.  

I am able to eat a small amount of hagan daz and Ben and Jerry's.  The absolute worse for me ( I know it is not ice cream) is DQ and Wendy's Frosty's. 

For the non-dairy I really like Bryers....they are 270-320 calories per PINT.  And Skinny Cow.....love their small 100 calorie ice cream bars.  Try small amounts to see what works best for you.