Respected Contributor

Re: Foods and things that affect us differently as we age.

Greasy foods.  I grew up in the south where everything had grease, sugar, and flour.  I still love that type of food but grease will cause me so much stomach problems.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut    I agree that we too often accept age as an excuse for limitations.  I cringe when I hear how because a person is a certain age they can no longer accomplish a certain task or that because someone in their family has a certain disability they will also get it.  Science is proving that genetics have very little to do with our current state of health.  Our perception has a lot to do with our health and accomplishments.  Even though I've always known this, Bruce Liption's books have provided the science behind my statements (especially The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness,Matter, & Miracles.)  It was refreshing to read your comments, as I so frequently hear the unfounded limitations of aging or heredity being expressed.

@hckynut wrote:

@house_cat 

In answer to the very last sentence in your post. No, almost 20 years your senior, and that has never been my experience. People change, as does their likes and dislikes, which include eats and drinks. But having to do with age?  Nah, too many blame aging for too many things already, and much of the time it has nothing to do with any of them.

hckynut

Honored Contributor

Some people actually have a difficult time digesting raw vegetables. This is because of a fiber called cellulose, which can be difficult for the body to break down. However, if you cook them it makes them easier to digest.

Respected Contributor

@onlyshopsonline  Unbattered shrimp should be eaten sparinly, and with a piece of meat and with a salad for balance.

Honored Contributor

@m0rgan wrote:

I haven't looked recently but my mil used to eat Lactaid Ice cream.  She was lactose intolerant.  She also used Lactaid milk.

@m0rgan  I use the Silk Almond Milk. Lactaid still didn't work for me. It's really good for anyone that wants to try it. I haven't been able to drink regular milk in many years.

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

Any dairy is just tourturing me. No ice cream, yougart etc. UGH! 

@godi  Have you tried Silk Almond milk or any of the almond milks? They taste good. I don't do much dairy myself.

Honored Contributor

It happens but I'm only in my late 50's and I don't believe that my digestive system is that of an elderly person.  Of course it happens but I think not until the 70's and beyond for most people.  I'm finding that my taste for certain foods is different.  It's not a matter of foods not agreeing me or causing intestinal distress, it's just that I just don't like many of the foods I once loved.  It's a mental thing.   It might be because I know more about nutrition than I did 20 years ago, it might be because I'm consious of aging in healthy way now.  I don't know what it is but high fat foods, fried foods, rich icecream (once my passion) don't interest me now.  It can be dicey when we are at friend's homes because someone will say  "I made this just for you because I know how much you love chocolate cake".   I can't say  "thanks but I don't like chocolate cake now".    

Trusted Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@onlyshopsonline  Unbattered shrimp should be eaten sparinly, and with a piece of meat and with a salad for balance.

I don’t produce the required enzyme that is required to digest shellfish...hence I get sick.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"