Honored Contributor

Re: Foods and things that affect us differently as we age.

@fancy pantsy ,

@house_cat -

That is really interesting about coffee!

I drink it before bed too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Contributor

For me, caffeine.

New Contributor

Onions. Garlic. Love them but they don't agree w me anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

I noticed anything with artificial sugar like a sweet and low messes up my stomach like crazy. Also beets and carrots.

Esteemed Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

@Travone wrote:

Certain types of ice cream.  I used to be able to eat all kinds of ice cream.  But now, certain types cause major cramping.  I can drink milk and cheese and other dairy without a problem.

me too @Travone !!  most any dairy is now giving me gas big time and some minor discomfort, but the ice cream all of a sudden causes MAJOR cramping (the kind so bad i have to go lay flat on a heating pad)!  i am curious, though ... what kind of ice cream can you eat that is ok with your digestive system?  i REALLY miss the ice cream, and if i could have a small dish every now and then, it would be the BEST TREAT Smiley Happy.  

You might have a intolerance to lactate or like me a allergy to a protein in milk and other dairy products.They do have ice cream with out the lactate so that might help you a bit. I would get it checked out by a doctor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I can't do caffeine either.  It gives me a fast irregular heartbeat that can lead to SVT.

But I need my cup of decaf in the morning.  I can't do spicy food like before.  There's a lot of food that I look at now and just say nope.

Me too @Scooby Doo!  It could be something you've never even had before but you just know it's gonna kill you all night long!

I had a glass of Pinot Grigio Saturday and thought I would die from the  indigestion.  I guess it's something else I will have to add to the list of what not to eat or drink.

Honored Contributor

I can't tolerate anything most of the time. I did see a gastro doctor, it was confirmed i have IBD. so i can not eat most anything now a days. Ihave had this for years it was getting more serious as the years went on, finally saw my gastro doctor and pleaded for help on finding out what was going on.  I am also lactose intolerant, and gluten free. dr said i have to follow a very strict diet or i will be constantly going back to bad side effects of many hours in the bathroom. so no more veggies,no more ice cream sundies,nomore chocolate anything,nomore candy,nomore gum,nomore sauces,nomore salt or seasonings.unbelieveable this diet. nothing to eat, i have to live with this or suffer.

Trusted Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

@Travone wrote:

Certain types of ice cream.  I used to be able to eat all kinds of ice cream.  But now, certain types cause major cramping.  I can drink milk and cheese and other dairy without a problem.

me too @Travone !!  most any dairy is now giving me gas big time and some minor discomfort, but the ice cream all of a sudden causes MAJOR cramping (the kind so bad i have to go lay flat on a heating pad)!  i am curious, though ... what kind of ice cream can you eat that is ok with your digestive system?  i REALLY miss the ice cream, and if i could have a small dish every now and then, it would be the BEST TREAT Smiley Happy.  

@fancy pantsy   I love ice cream also but it does not agree with me either now in my 70's.   I now buy Lactaid ice cream and Lactaid milk for my cereal.   No more stomach problems!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

Oh boy!  Where do I start?  

Coffee is one cup only!

This miserable heat is killing me!  Now I know why they always say to check on the elderly during heat waves!  I never used to sweat much, now I'm soaked through my clothes just watering my flowers! 

Stores that have one person at the check out.   I haven't a thread of patience left!  I have left a basket of stuff sitting and left the store.  

There are probably hundreds more!  LOL!  

Super Contributor

Strangely enough, skinless chicken breast now sits like a brick in my stomach. Even when eaten along with lots of salad.

It doesn’t digest normally any more. Someone told me it’s because it’s a “solid muscle protein” which is harder to break down than (for example)

hamburger.

Hamburger has some fat marbling throughout, which aides in digesting it.

This theory sounds plausible, so I’ll go with it!

Except I prefer a Beyond/Impossible burger as a replacement!

Another thing that’s changed is the “recovery period” after a jog or work out.....

Working out used to ENERGIZE me, but now I seem to need time to recover.

Sometimes halfway through I simply “run out of gas” and can not go any further.  Rather than a slowing down period, I just STOP.

So, yah, those are a couple of changes I’ve noticed (that don’t have to do

with vanity......of which there’s a Ton of those!)