Trusted Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

I grew up North West of Chicago, I now live in Florida.  I miss Italian Beef sandwhiches, I also miss GOOD Pizza and GOOD Chinese food.

Almost exactly what I was going to say.  Grew up right outside Chicago, now in New Jersey.  I miss Italian beef, good pizza and bread dumplings.

Same here...

We live in Wisconsin now. 

I was thinking, "A really great Chicago-style Italian beef sandwich," as I was reading through the comments. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@Miss Pepsi  I think the reason it's gotten harder to find good neighborhood takeout Chinese food is the younger owners are using commercially prepared sauces. The older owners use to make them all from scratch and the difference is obvious. I have started asking if a sauce is made from scratch, and the answer frequently is "no."

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

I grew up North West of Chicago, I now live in Florida.  I miss Italian Beef sandwhiches, I also miss GOOD Pizza and GOOD Chinese food.

Almost exactly what I was going to say.  Grew up right outside Chicago, now in New Jersey.  I miss Italian beef, good pizza and bread dumplings.

Sweet Home Chicago

@Daisy Sunflower @VanSleepy @Miss Pepsi 

Don't you guys have great pierogies all over the city too!? Yum!

We went to Chicago to visit friends a few summers ago.  They took us to a town in Indiana right outside of South Chicago to the famous pierogie festival.  Can't remember the name of the town and DH is sleeping watching golf.....lol

Festival lasted a couple of days--maybe a week.  All that Polish food, too.  And lots of beer.

Honored Contributor

For all who like Country Fried Steak (AKA Chicken Fried Steak) check out Kendall's Restaurant in Noble, OK on Facebook!  

See the people that tried the challenge and came home with a Quitter's take-out box!  LOL!!!  It really is great CFS though!  

Honored Contributor

I was raised in Southern Cali and I haven't even heard of most of these items.  I now reside in the PNW and miss Jewish delis and good Mexican food.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne 

I'm sure California is great for Mexican!

Are you good about trying new things?

Honored Contributor

None I miss because I still eat the same ones I have for years now. @Andreatoo 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

S.O.S.=sauce on side.

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

S.O.S.=sauce on side.

@insomniac2 

No. SOS is a dish derived from a common military 'meal' while in combat . It stands for sh** on a shingle Creamed chipped beef over toast or bread

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@DiAnne 

I'm sure California is great for Mexican!

Are you good about trying new things?

@Andreatoo 

I am - I grew up on ethnic foods.  I love Asian flavors.  I was eating sushi when I was a kid.  A lunch of really good Dim Sum is my idea of heaven.