Honored Contributor

I'm not understanding this thread. If the OP feels so strongly against food trucks, why ask for recommendations? It seems that her mind was already made up.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I'm not understanding this thread. If the OP feels so strongly against food trucks, why ask for recommendations? It seems that her mind was already made up.

Food Trucks are regulated just like a restaurant. They must Have refridgeration and I don't know why someone would think that they don't.

They are everywhere. The subdivision where we live is having a philly cheese steak truck next month. I don't like that item so I won't be attending.

Do you think someone gets up in the morning and say "I think I'll drive a food truck today?" No, they have to be certified and inspected and have a permit  before this can happen so stop it please.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Food Trucks

[ Edited ]

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

where I live in illinios,every morning on my way to work,I see a Mexican vendor advertising Mexican breakfast burritos. Never tried tho,especially if there is no refrigeration 

---------------------------------------------------------

There has to be refridgeration, otherwise they would be out of business. They also have to post their permit where everyone can see it.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Food Trucks are regulated just like a restaurant. They must Have refridgeration and I don't know why someone would think that they don't.

They are everywhere. The subdivision where we live is having a philly cheese steak truck next month. I don't like that item so I won't be attending.

Do you think someone gets up in the morning and say "I think I'll drive a food truck today?" No, they have to be certified and inspected and have a permit  before this can happen so stop it please.

Just make sure, @Sage04, you are agreeing with me here; right?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Just make sure, @Sage04, you are agreeing with me here; right?

@suzyQ3  of course I am. that's why I mention the OP.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I hear Jane talking a lot about food trucks.

The only food trucks I see around where I live look like standing too close to them you’d get poisoned.  Yep!  They’re that bad!

Nothing in the truck is refrigerated.  The truck looks like it has traveled around the world more than once!

I know in Washington DC there are some nice looking ones and when we’ve gone there; we’ve eaten from there a time or two.

I’ve been craving a good hot dog ever since she started talking about the food trucks.

There’s no place that offers hot dogs.

Has anyone here had good food items at food trucks near where they live?  If so...what was on the menu?

@Annabellethecat66 , you want a hot dog? Have you ever watched "Matlock" with Andy Griffith? He loved a hotdog. It wasn't from a food truck but close enough. That man ate a lot of hotdogs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

We (coworkers and myself) would walk around our area of DC and get lunch from different food trucks several times a month.  My favorite was Jose Andres' truck Pepe.  (I'm pretty sure a James Beard award winner has a refrigerated truck - like they all do). 🙄

@Mj12  Love Jose Andres. Excellent chef and help feed people that needed on the beginning of the pandemic.

He still is! Jose Andres is a wonderful chef and an even better human being. He founded World Central Kitchen that goes around the world to disaster areas to feed people. He had set up food stations around many hospitals to feed health care workers or any other hungry person during these trying times. DH ( a chef and restaurauteur) retired just before the pandemic arrived here in the US but has joined Jose on a few excursions to areas that needed food assistance. I can personally attest that his food trucks or pop-up food stations are immaculate. A large portion of our stimulus money has been donated to his cause.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Er - If I could just mention, we owned a houseboat for many years, it had a gas powered refrigerator.  They are very common in the RV-ish world, as well as many countries where electrical power is unreliable.

My favorite food truck is an ice cream truck with ice cream from our local dairy.  🍨 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Food trucks here are mostly downtown or are set up near construction sites where the workers are their only customers; I think that is how food trucks first began. Closer to home, it is almost all taco trucks that show up at various events like craft fairs, etc. So far, I would not eat anything they sell, based on the looks of them. Best place for a hot dog would be the baseball park... I think even they have had to make changes due to CDC protocols. Not even sure they can sell them right now. Most everything has to be packaged sealed from the factory.

Honored Contributor

Maybe it depends upon where you live. In SoCal, food trucks are a big deal with foodies. Some of them graduate to actual restaurants. They don't sell only tacos, but those that do are often revered by their fans.