Trusted Contributor

Why do you think there is no refrigeration?  That is not necessarily the case.  Some of the best food I have ever eaten is from food trucks.  I love them but of course like restaurants there are good ones and bad ones.

There are restaurants that are far dirtier than some food trucks are.

Honored Contributor

Not all food trucks are created equal and not all communities have good safety inspections in place to inspect food trucks properly.

And then during the pandemic, food establishments turned their person vehicles and company vans into "food trucks."  Unlicensed, uninspected.

My HOA has been supporting these restaurants by allowing them to bring their "food truck" to the community center to sell food.

Food packed in to-go boxes in coolers.

Twice now, people have posted on our Nextdoor page asking if anyone else got sick after eating from said food truck.

I appreciate wanting to support local businesses and I appreciate local businesses not having the money to buy what is needed to do a food truck or catering business correctly.

And I also think that food establishments are cutting corners right now making things a little iffy to eat.

This is just what I've seen locally in my development.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I'm in Miami and have been for more than 4 decades. Long before food trucks were all the rage you could purchase delectable goodies on the street and not all of it regulated!

My favorite was going in to Hialeah (predominantly Cuban) and getting churros off a truck! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. And then there's the barbecue in a parking lot. Some of those did go on to open storefronts as someone else pointed out in their neighborhood.  We used to get great fresh seafood in the Home Depot parking lot! Lol (he was licensed) Then there were the underground 'restaurants' that people would set up in their homes! You had to know someone that knew someone....

Just sayin'... being  a real restaurant is no guarantee.

@Annabellethecat66  check with your local health department for the track records of restaurants near you. You may be surprised at the infractions these places accumulate....

BTW I learned something interesting from the gastroenterologist last time I was in the hospital: Most food poisoning, like Salmonella, doesn't manifest until about a week later!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Food Trucks

[ Edited ]

Several years ago, my place of employment had a food truck come, it was Asian Food, and they actually had a restaurant in the city,as well,  the food was so good! The truck itself was clean too.....I have also been to a couple of Food Trucks since then, and have never had a bad experience! They seem to be very popular, and they are very very busy especially on the weekends!

Esteemed Contributor

Food trucks aren't a common sight in my part of NE AZ but whenever we go through CA Central Valley we always make it a point to do Mexican at food trucks.  These truck are primarily set up to feed immigrant farm workers and the food is delish.

Honored Contributor

I know it sounds like I’m exaggerating but really....these two that I’ve seen look like they are harboring something I wouldn’t want to eat.

I’m the first to admit my palette definitely is not up to par by anyone’s standards.

I can’t smell or taste much of anything ( for years now).

However, there’s nothing wrong with my eyes!  These trucks look horrible.  Where they are located I doubt the food police go there to check their refrigeration habits.

It must be the time of day I pass by because I’ve never seen anyone in or around them.

Maybe just out of curiosity I’ll go by there and stop in.......maybe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

We (coworkers and myself) would walk around our area of DC and get lunch from different food trucks several times a month.  My favorite was Jose Andres' truck Pepe.  (I'm pretty sure a James Beard award winner has a refrigerated truck - like they all do). 🙄

That sounds like so much fun. Makes me wish I lived in a more populated area. 

There are only 2 food trucks in my area that I know of, and oddly enough they both sell catfish. 

Honored Contributor

I LOVE food trucks.  We have many in the Seattle area.  With so many companies sending employees home (Amazon, Microsoft, etc) they have been having a hard time.  In several neighborhoods around me they have one food truck (different every week) come on Friday night from 4 -7 PM during the pandemic.  I am ashamed to admit I have never participated.  .  There is a Korean one I love and another that makes Dim Sum that is so good.  

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

We (coworkers and myself) would walk around our area of DC and get lunch from different food trucks several times a month.  My favorite was Jose Andres' truck Pepe.  (I'm pretty sure a James Beard award winner has a refrigerated truck - like they all do). 🙄

@Mj12  Love Jose Andres. Excellent chef and help feed people that needed on the beginning of the pandemic.

Honored Contributor

A nearby town of 20,000 people has a hot dog cart in the downtown area. On weekends, food trucks set up at farm markets. They look clean and the kitchens have to pass inspections. Pre Covid, we'd get rangoons and egg rolls from the truck.