Esteemed Contributor

Follow-up to my niece’s death

I just returned from a visit to my brother and sister-in-law, who lost their daughter to a drug overdose last month. I hired a private car to take me and my husband door-to-door between houses. It cost a small fortune but it was the best way to keep my husband, who has Alzheimer's, from driving. It's a daily battle but I take each challenge day by day.

The visit went very well. It was so sad, especially when I went to the cemetery, but we all had some good moments too. My oldest daughter came down to see us and we saw my 98 year old mother each day too.  We were all so glad to see each other, enjoy outdoor barbecues together, and just chat. I'm glad I went but I'm glad to be back home.

Honored Contributor

Re: Follow-up to my niece’s death

@Vivian 

Sincere condolences on the loss of your niece.

NIce that you were able to enjoy time with family in spite of the sad circumstances.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

My sympathies to you and your family. Glad your visit went well.🕊

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

What a brilliant idea to hire a driver.

Honored Contributor

Glad both of you were able to visit. I'll never understand the allure of drugs. How terribly sad for her parents.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian  I am so glad that you found a way to safely get to your family.  My condolences to your entire family.  While it was under distressing circumstances, I am happy that you had the opportunity to spend the time with family, especially your mother.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

Glad your visit went well @Vivian . I'm so sorry about your niece.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian  Sincere condolences to you and your entire family on such an untimely death.  My heart goes out to those parents whose life is forever altered. However, their daughter is finally at peace and free of the demons. All is forgiven in my way of thinking. Love is unconditional.

During this virus-19 and social distancing, it is a challenge to attend family ocassions which are especially helpful and meaningful for all concerned.

In this case, the money was well spent for your safety, convenience and the ability to convey your condolences in person. The added benefit was visiting with your mother! Sounds like it made your life much easier while helping your husband and the time less stressful for you. Delighted you were able to both attend and enjoy yourself . . . and were safe. Great idea.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Vivian   I am glad you were able to visit your brother and family. It sounds like it went well, under the circumstances,  but like you, it's nice to visit but I also enjoy being in my own home.