Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Flowers in Bloom at the Back Fence - May 2019

IMG_2624 (400x363).jpg

Five will get me ten it's going to take a couple of years for my tree to fill back in.  He had to take so much off of the tree over my neighbor's driveway.  I wasn't psychologically prepared Woman LOL for him to try to make the tree look even by taking out so much of what was in front of my house.

Removal of that extra weight (over the driveway) will remove all stress on my old maple.  It just looks so stark I am having a difficult time wrapping my mind around it.  I guess like anything else I have to get used to it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

IMG_2624 (400x363).jpg

Five will get me ten it's going to take a couple of years for my tree to fill back in.  He had to take so much off of the tree over my neighbor's driveway.  I wasn't psychologically prepared Woman LOL for him to try to make the tree look even by taking out so much of what was in front of my house.

Removal of that extra weight (over the driveway) will remove all stress on my old maple.  It just looks so stark I am having a difficult time wrapping my mind around it.  I guess like anything else I have to get used to it.

@Bird mama   The tree now has good balance, looks good, and I know exactly how you feel, lol, like getting a haircut that is too short.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

The tree people arrived at 9:45 this morning.  The tree is done and despite assurances that the adjustments were for the good of the tree, I'm sitting here thinking it would have been better for me to add some more money and just cut the thing down to the ground.

I fought the storm window off of the bay window and cleaned the windows.  I probably should have used vinegar because I swear I can see a shadow or streak on the middle panel of the bay window.  I can't tell if it's on the outside of the window or on the glass storm.

The storm glass for the middle window is wide and heavy and once I got it down I honestly didn't know if I was going to have the shoulder strength to get it back on.

Hey, it looks significantly better than it did and today, that's going to have to be good enough Woman Happy

@Bird mama   Liquid dish soap doesn't leave streaks.  I put some in a bowl with some water, wipe it all over any glass, then wipe dry, I use paper towels, no need to wash the soap off.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's been threatening rain all day.  I did my grocery shopping and had to visit 2 Meijer's to complete my list.  One didn't have my Silk Soy milk so I figured I'd just get the refrigerated things from the other one.  It's been over 3 weeks since I've seen my Maxwell House instant coffee on the shelves at any Meijer's.  Yea they have decaf but for me personally why even bother with coffee if it's doesn't have caffeine in it Woman Very Happy

I ran out today and out of desperation I bought Folgers.  I figured it would be a good idea to try a cup this afternoon so as not to shock myself tomorrow morning.  That rotten coffee made my stomach hurt so I reached out to Maxwell House via FB messenger Woman LOL

They were very responsive and so kind and found a Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid locally that had scanned a Maxwell House instant coffee in the last month.

I didn't walk, I literally ran to my car and hit the Walgreen's a mile away from me.  It's usually not my style to take the last thing on the shelf if there is more than one.  There were 2 left and I bought both of them.  

My morning coffee experience sets the tone of my day so I had to wipe out their inventory.  

I feel so much better now.  I'll hit the CVS tomorrow and check expiration dates.  I might pick up 2 more and put them on the side.

Honored Contributor

really not to much happening here. very hot and humid. many storms in my area. North of us all across PA. getting hit with many storms and tornados. hope these storms fall apart as they move southwards. storms scare me.

did get both my walks in today and picked up my mail.

not much else guys see all later.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@viva923   when I bought my house there was a full line (along the fence) of perennial plants/bushes.  They were beautiful.  My neighbor on that side was having some kind of mental issue in 2007 that required me to install a privacy fence (right inside my chain link fence) quick, fast and in a hurry Woman Happy  In order to get the fence in quickly, I applied for the permit for the fence and removed all of the plant life on that side of the yard.  At the time I didn't think about transplanting them, I focused on clearing the area for the fence crew.

My yard is primarily green with pine trees, evergreen shrubs, leafy green shrubs.  I've got some hollyhocks/rose of sharon things (lol) growing along that fence now because some of 'that' neighbors hollyhocks/rose of sharon transferred over.

I like all of the green in my yard.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning, hard to believe that today's the last day of May.  That was fast Woman Frustrated

It looks like the next week will be a little drier around my part of the world.  I should be able to cut the grass today.  I think it's supposed to rain tomorrow then I'll have a 2 to 3 day window of dry weather which is what I need to fix my chimney crown for the fireplace (that I haven't used in years) that's in the first floor family room.

I noticed last weekend as I looked out the upstairs bedroom window into my back yard that a squirrel was sitting on the chimney crown.  I didn't mind the squirrel sitting there because there's a chimney cap on top of the what is it, flue?

I noticed a thin straight crack on the crown and said hmmm, I wonder if that's a serious problem?

I spent a couple of hours with chimney sweeps on youtube last Saturday and learned that I needed to address this crack before it got worse.  I also learned what the chimney sweeps use on this and that it was available through amazon. 

I ordered a gallon of brushable crown repair sealant (I guess that's what it's called) and it's been delivered.  All I need is the proper paint brush (Home Depot here I come) and cooperation from the weather and I'm good to go.

I'm pretty confident that I won't have to crawl up on the roof to do this.  Lucky for me the chimney is at the back of the house and I can get at it with an extension ladder. 

If this was the chimney for my furnace that comes out of my second story roof, I'd be telling you about the chimney sweep that I called Woman LOL 

I'm all for doing it myself - within reason.  

We'll see how it goes Woman Very Happy  

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama  Good morning! Yes,time moves faster as we get older.I remember when I was in school,it seemed like it took forever for a week to go by.I bet you save a lot of money being able to do so many things around your house.Today the sun is shinning and I hope it continues.Hope everyone has a nice week-end.

Honored Contributor

@hellie jo This isn't my chimney, I only have one flue coming out of mine.  The crack I have doesn't even look as bad as this one.  Thank goodness I only have one crack.

Image result for crack in chimney crown

I had no idea about chimneys prior to last week Saturday.  When I first started looking up the parts that make a chimney and what would need to be done I kept seeing a bunch of chimney guys using the exact same product over and over for crowns that looked at least 5 times worse than mine.

I started checking prices and nearly choked when I learned chimney sweeps start at around $400 to brush a flippen sealant on the area.

It also helped that one of the youtube videos I watched was a young woman applying this to hers or somebody's chimney crown.

That's when I said, wait one minute.  I can get the product for under $60, the brush probably for $10 or under.  

I have a thing about heights and would never try anything that exceeds my fear tolerance.  

It's funny, I was browsing the internet last weekend checking out my options for my front door.  My front inside door and the older storm door fits like a dream.  Wouldn't you know, it's not a standard sizeWoman LOL  It's off the standard size by an inch or two lengthwise and widthwise.  I thought oh boy, a custom door?  Doggone it; that means I will need a prehung door and then I will need a new storm door that will never fit like this one.

So I asked myself what it was I didn't like about the door and it's the window in the door.  Then I thought, hmm if the window broke there's gotta be some way to replace it in a steel door right?

Duh, lol.  I ended up finding a site that sells replacement windows.  They are the same company that made the leaded glass for the custom door and sidelights that I installed in 2009 for the back door.

I decided on this one:

/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore//images/catalog/Enclosed_Blinds/Thumb/th_odl_19130630302.jpg

The window with enclosed blinds would cost me $260.  It comes in a kit.  Installation by a professional would be $175.  Now, installation is almost the price of the window.  Could I remove the old window and install the new one?  Probably.  It's ain't rocket science.

Will I pay for professional installation?  You betcha.  For something like this I would prefer a professional install it and seal it properly so the 20 year warranty stays in tact.

I don't want to risk doing it wrong and then ending up with some kind of mold, mildew or fungus amungus issue Woman LOL

I guess I'm selectively frugal.

Honored Contributor

My front door window looks like this.  I was never really crazy about it. 

Image result for front door diamond pane window

I keep a wreath on it (enclosed by the storm door).  The inside of the door has a rod pocket (top and bottom) curtain and I'll have to remove the top and bottom rods.  Once I remove the scr3ws that hold the rods on the door I will be left with small holes in the steel door.  

I've already been watching videos on how to use Bondo (I think that's what it's called) to repair steel.  I have a small patch of the steel door that leads from the kitchen to the attached garage that also needs to be fixed with Bondo.  Woman Very Happy

My 'to do' list grows everyday.