Respected Contributor

What a great poem and post!  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I wore flour sack skirts my aunt made me back in the day.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Great Post - Thank You. I have a book regarding the origin and designs of flour sacks - quite interesting.

The prints are cute on some of them

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, yes, my Mom made lots and lots of dresses out of flour sacks.  We were so excited when new patterns came out.

I'm glad we went thru those lean times.  Makes me appreciate so many things today!

Valued Contributor

Mom made pillow cases out of the flour sacks.  So much fun picking out the print.  She went thru a lot of flour as she made fresh bread everyday and with 4 children I am still astonished that she was able to accomplish all she did.

Honored Contributor

I heard the term before but I didn't know that the flour cane in floral prints.  I probably heard it from my grandparents, it was probably before my mother's time.  But I do remember that my grandmother would by fabric "remnants" from the fabric store and she'd make dresses like that for all her grandaughters when we were little.  We wore them to church with ankle socks and little cardigan sweaters.

Super Contributor

Wow, thanks for sharing @YorkieonmyPillow.

That pic looks like so many that are in my family albums. I grew up in a hollar in West Virginia and wore many a flour sack petticoats in grade school my grandma made for me. My life was close like the Loretta Lynn song "Coal Miner's Daughter". Daddy was a coal miner. We didn't have much; we grew all our food and were never hungry. I wouldn't change a single thing, because we had love. Heart

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Trusted Contributor

Aren't they adorable? I have heard of the flour sack dresses through classic movies, as well as from stories my grandmothers and one great aunt shared. I treasure the old photos that have been passed along to me - some of them dressed similarly. Keep them displayed in antique frames. 

I know from those same stories how incredibly resourceful people were - "necessity is the mother of invention" - including clothing design obviously. 

I'm always so impressed at how impeccably dressed many people were while waiting in food lines during the Great Depression in old photos. I realize some of them owned a nice wardrobe before the depression struck, but quite a few no doubt made their own clothes from whatever was availble. 

Thanks for this interesting topic, @YorkieonmyPillow